Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QUEENSNY20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2007, 07:32 AM
    My Landlord and I
    Hi My Name Is Elizabeth I Live In Brooklyn N.y. Im Trying To Get Some Answerd I Move To A Apartment On February 11, 2007 The Rent Was $1,400 Every Month
    My Rent Is Due On The 11th Of Each Mont
    This What Happen I Spocked With My Land Lord On March 2007 That My Husben Was Sick The Doctors Toll Him He Got Diabitis And The Job We Were Working They Cut His Hours Of Work Now He Was Working 30hrs A Week
    He Was Working 40hrs Per Week So We Told The Land Lord That We Couldn't Pay $1,400.00 A Month So We Want Our Diposit To Move He Say That He Will Reduce The Rent In $1,200.00 A Month So We Agree To Pay $1,200.00 A Month.
    On The Month Of April We Started To Pay 1,200.00 Not 1,400.00 We Pay May,
    But On June We Didin't Pay Him The Rent Of June 11 To July 11 I Ask Him If We Can Pay Him The Rent On The 26 Of June He Say Its Ok But The 26 Came I Didn't Have The Rent He Told Me To Move He Will Get The Rent From June From The Deposit Money $1,400
    My Husband Ask Him That We Need Time To Move So He Say Ok Now The Time Came To Pay The Rent Again On July 11 He Told Me What Happen Why I Was Not Move I Told Him I Need To Get More Money To Move He Told Me Ok Get This Month To Move And Don't Pay Me Nomoney
    On The Month Of July 11 To Augost 11 I Just Ask To Move As Soon As Posible The Land Lord Toll Me That I We Say Ok We Agree On That Before Augost 11th We Needed To Be Move And We Gave Him Thanks For Doing That Then He Came On July 25th With A Letter Saying
    We Have 5 Days To Pay Him The Rent Of June 11 $1,400 And July 11 $1,400
    I Told Him That That Not The Way We Agree On We Agree On June 11 He Was Going to Get The Deposit Money Of $1,400 And The Amont Of July It Was Going to Be Free Until We Move Before Augost 11 He Told Me That He Want His Money He Change His Mine I My Husband Say He Was Not Going to Pay That Money And He Was Not Going to Move On Agust 11 The Landlord Told Us That He Was Going to Take Us To Corth We Say Ok We Go To Corth But My Husband Had A Recorder On His Pocket And He Record Everithing We Say Now On Augost The 03rd He Send A Letter With His Lawyer Robert Rojas This Letter Say That We Have
    5 Days To Move The Letter Is A Civil Court Of The City Of New York The Amount He Asking Is $2,800 For The Two Months We Didn't Pay Him
    But We Agree It Will Be $1,200 Each Mont If We Need To Pay Is $2,400 That We Need To Pay Him Ot $2,800 And We Still Have Our Deposit Of $1,400 So This Is My Question What We Can Do In This Situation ? Please Help Me I Don't Know What To Do.. thank You
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
    I'm afraid I have bad news for you. Unless you have some proof of the agreement to reduce the rent, then you have to pay the full rental. Forget about using the deposit at this point. A deposit is to secure against damages and repairs. The landlord may choose to apply it towards unpaid rent, but not the tenant.

The best you can do is move as quickly as possible. Go into court and tell the judge about the verbal agreement you had and that you are willing to pay the $2400.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Wow - that is really hard to read...

From what I can tell you have a written lease for $1400 due on the 11th of each month. Have all of your other agreements been verbal? If so the written lease will apply. Whatever it says.

If you basically haven't paid rent for 2 months he has every right ot evict you and try to collect his money.

I'd recommend finding another less expensive place to live immediately and work out a payment arrangement with this landlord. Otherwise it will wind up costing you more in the long run if it goes to court.

It sounds like he was being sympathetic, made agreements with you and now that he's realized that you're not holding up your end of the agreements (for whatever reason) he's ending the whole thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questionable Landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I am moving into a new apartment and I am moving to Louisville KY, my new landlord is very nice however I am going today to give her the remainder of the deposit, and she doesn't have the lease agreement ready, should I give her the money?

Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do if I have renters who will not pay their rent . No rental agreement was signed it was verbal agreement !:confused:

Landlord not following his own LEASE! [ 3 Answers ]

I got the other issues fixed but it states in my lease, that the landlord retains the right to show the house the last month of our lease. Our lease is not up until JUNE 1st. He first called and said he wanted to show the house to "someone", I told him what the lease stated. So then he left a...

Crooked landlord, maybe? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there everyone I am from Sussex, WI and, I am a proud owner of my first home. However, I am having some issues with my landlord that I just left. Here is the story. After fulfilling my first year's lease I requested from my landlord that he put me on a month to month lease. The request was...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

View more questions Search