Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Aug 5, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Brother wants me dead
    Ok, I know the topic is a little... different, but just recently, I found out my own brother has wanted me dead my whole life. When I was only a couple days old, he tried to kill me, I found that out from my parents, and then when I was maybe about two years old, he threw me down the stairs, that I don't remember either. Even growing up, he was rather violent towards me, things I never told my parents, many times, he would punch me in the chest so hard, I would loose my breath.

So, my whole life growing up, my brother had his own passive ways of trying to kill me when I was young, I only passed it off as simple sibling rivalry, but with this new information, that my brother tried to smother me when I was a couple days old, and my parents did nothing about it, besides pull him off me, I mean, I don't know what to think now.

I have so many enotions rushing through me. Anger, Betrayal, Some fear, Sadness, confusion the biggest. I mean, am I just reading into this too deep? Also, why would my parent simply say "oh he was young at the time and didn't know better" That is the one thing that p****s me off the most, cause had it been the other way around, I know for a fact they would never let me live it down, the would constantly remind me.

At times, when I think about it, I am so grateful he's not even in the same state, otherwise I might do something I might regret, but then I remind myself, that last time I saw him, he was a real "brother" than violent. IDK, just really confused, and angry and everything

Cripes, I feel like I should be laying on a couch with a person behind with a pen and a pad of paper sketching down notes, knowing the notes are going to be tossed out as soon as I leave, OK, I'll shut up now.:p
    tkdgal Posts: 51, Reputation: 13

Aug 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Knowing that someone so close to you has wanted you dead is a shocking and emotionally destructive thing to hear, and I sympathize with you. Being second born(I suppose), jealousy may be a huge factor is his decision to be so violent. Some people need constant attention and hate it when others share the limelight. You seem to try to find the good in people, telling from your decision to ignore the situation from the beginning, but it's always better to tell someone you can trust these feelings that you have experienced for quite a while. Not only will it help you get things off your chest, but it will make you feel better that someone is trying to help you out. It was absolutely wrong of your parents not to step in further than they did... that was horrible parenting on their part. As a child, you should not be expected to solve these kinds of things on your own, so don't feel bad about that at all. The emotions you have are completely normal for the predicament you are in, and it's good to express them in healthy ways, such as talking to a counselor or even some private meditation time by yourself. You are not reading into things too deeply at all. I suggest talking to a pyschiatrist about your problems. Bringing along your brother, if possible, would be even better, because then you would have a chance to listen to what your brother is thinking, as well. The counselor could somewhat act as a referee. The sooner the better to get your problems fixed, because the sooner you'll feel about yourself and your life as a whole. Good luck!

Aug 9, 2007, 06:17 PM
    I just don't want to end up being put somewhere, like a half way house cause after that, the stress got to me, and the way I dealt with stress before, is I'd cut my arm, sometimes I'd only need a small band aid, other time, I'd have to put a wet paper towel over the cut, but I told my friends and family I was playing a game like 20 questions, only when you got a question wrong, you had to cut yourself, for a while they bought it, but my closest friend either figured out I was lying, or he is beginning to suspect something.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:22 PM
    You need to go and talk to a counselor. It sounds as if you are turning your anger and rage onto yourself. That is a very dangerous road to start down. If you get yourself help now you will be able to work through this rage and live a healthy, normal life.

Aug 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
    A shrink, just what my brother needs to find out. That I end up seeing a shrink, I would feel like a total hypocrite (however spelled) I used to laugh at people who had to see shrinks, even if was just in a movie. However, I only cut my arm when the stress REALLY builds up. If its minor stress, I start squeezing a stress ball.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Cutting yourself is not an okay behavior regardless of your stress level. You also don't have to tell anyone you are going to see a counselor.

Aug 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Well, shrinks/counselors, whatever you want to call them, are a little on the expensive side. Not nescesarilly something I can afford at the moment, got other bills to take care of first.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
    You can see one for as little as $10 through your towns mental health department.

Aug 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Seriously? Doesn't that differ from state to state, and county and all?
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Nope if its state sponsored its done on a sliding scale based on what you can afford
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Glinda is correct. In fact, the cost for a counselor through your township or county might even be less. My uncle paid only $3 an hour, met with her once or twice a week for his depression, on a sliding scale based on his income.

I've met with clients (Catholic Charities) and they told me just talking about things was such a relief--someone actually listened to them and believed them and worked with them to find solutions or some kind of resolution.

Aug 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Wow, I feel like a total fool, thinking the worst in everything, especially when it comes to getting help. Thanks, I think I will look into that. I wish I knew more people as helpful as you.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Hey you now know a whole community.

Your mental well being is very important. There is no reason to put off help when its available. Good luck!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Just to add my 2 cents worth. Check out your local univeristy's psychology department. Many departments have FREE counseling. Sure it is done by students, but they are under the guidance of their licensed professors. They have some GREAT cutting edge techniques and wonderful new therapies.

I used my local university when going through post partum depression, didn't pay a penny, and came out great in only 2 months of talk therapy.
    hdawson1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Aug 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Speaking from an older siblings point of view, I was the jealous big sister when it came to my little brother. I was very very mean to him growing up. To the point I threatened to smother him in his sleep. I was like 10 and he was 6. A lot of it came from jealousy. As we got older, and I moved out we began to build on our relationship. Then when our parents passed away we had no one else to lean on but each other. Now I don't know what I would do if something were to happen to him. He is one of my very best friends. I even named my son after him. I guess all I'm saying (not making light of your situation in any way) but we sometimes do things as children that we deeply regret. Maybe you should give your big bro a chance to make amends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I related to my brother-in-laws brother? [ 12 Answers ]

It's been this huge discussion lately with many many MANY different answers, and I would like to know, If my sister marries a man, am I related to him AND his siblings? I have no idea...

Seeing The Dead [ 35 Answers ]

Hi , I'm 15 , recently been very ill for 4 weeks with bad headaches , since I've been ill I've started seeing people , weird strange people , lately I've noticed these people are dead since I saw my uncle who passed away a year ago , This also happened when I was about 7 , my parents thought I...

My brother might need help... [ 4 Answers ]

My dad repeatedly sends money to my brother who in university... and my brother keeps spending it repeatedly. He has spent about 22000 UsD in one term. He used to be my mentor.. but not anymore. It's becoming... quite serious, I think he might have a drug/alcoholic problem.. . Being the younger...

Is my PC Dead? [ 1 Answers ]

We had a power outage earlier this week due to a raccoon electrocution in our city's substation. All of our home electronics are fine EXCEPT for our DELL 5100 computer tower. The monitor works, and the indicator light for internet hookup is lit. We just cannot turn on the computer. We called...

Seeing dead? [ 5 Answers ]

Hiya all, I'm quite new to this, I'm going through a pretty hard time at the moment, one of my Aunty's son's died at the weekend, I'm pretty close to her. I went to see her and behind her, at a glance, I saw this man standing behind her with his hand on her shoulder. When I got home I mentioned...

View more questions Search