Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mela Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
    too late to go to court?
    :confused: Hi, I have a question(don't we all?) well almost a year ago two kids stole my car( '96 ford explorer). They did a lot of damage to it. I knew who had done it, but did nothing because I was arrested when I arrived @ the scene to pick it up, for a suspended licsince. Well the vehicle was sold to my father-inlaw, but has not been paid fully yet. I was wondering if I could still take them and their parents to court for the damaged to the vehicle( since it lost value and all) or is it too late, since it's sold?:confused:
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 4, 2007, 01:40 PM
    If you sold the vehicle and transferred the title, there's nothing you can do about it.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Aug 4, 2007, 02:49 PM
    You could sue the vandals or their parents if they are minors. Your damages can either be calculated by way of estimates or invoices to repair the vehicle or by way of the resulting devaluation of the vehicle if it was sold damaged.

Hopefully the two car thieves were also charged and convicted and if so you may want to obtain the appropriate police or court documents to prove same. This will help you with any lawsuit against them.

Aug 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Thanks... but they weren't convicted. But there's a main kid that was involved, and his mother knew about his involvement... so that should help. Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Hello mela:

The time you have to file a lawsuit varies between jurisdictions. For lawsuits like this, it's my considered opinion that MOST statutes of limitations would preclude you from filing suit after one year.

excon

Aug 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Oh really?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Late period(26 days late) negative HPT's [ 7 Answers ]

I was supposed to have my period about 26 days ago. I still haven't had it, and I have taken 3 HPT, they all came out negative. I've been feeling dizzy and REALLY REALLY tired all the time. I have body itches and headaches andi feel sick at night and in the mornings. I'm also urinating more than...

Superior Court and Supreme Court [ 4 Answers ]

Is a "Superior court" the same thing as the "Supreme Court"?

Court very soon [ 5 Answers ]

hi I am soon going to court for my divorce and custody for my 9 year old daughter, who wants to live with me,me and my soon to be x husband will be separated 10 mo in a few days yes I left the home and went to my moms down the road which I thought was only for a night to get some rest but of course...

Going to Court [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question, I am going to court for a debt with a law office regarding a credit card that I have been paying since last July. I have sent letters to the law office stating that I owe the debt and that I intend to pay it and have been paying each month. They wanted a certain amount I did...

View more questions Search