Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffandlinda Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2005, 04:59 PM
    Replaced sewage pump
    Please tell me its going to be ok… I found my pump for the septic was bad . It would keep popping the circuit breaker. The tank it was in looks 4 feet wide and 7 feet deep. I would say it had 4 feet of water. I am guessing but I would say the pump was out for at least 2 weeks. After I replaced it and turned it on I could only run it for a minute before it would start spraying out the field pipe. Could it be my field is dry and I can only put in a little sewage at a time? Thanks for any help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffandlinda
    Please tell me its going to be ok… I found my pump for the septic was bad . It would keep popping the circuit breaker. The tank it was in looks 4 feet wide and 7 feet deep. I would say it had 4 feet of water. I am guessing but I would say the pump was out for at least 2 weeks. After I replaced it and turned it on I could only run it for a minute before it would start spraying out the field pipe. Could it be my field is dry and I can only put in a little sewage at a time? Thanks for any help
    Good morning Jeff,

You asked," After I replaced it and turned it on,(the pump) I could only run it for a minute before it would start spraying out the field pipe. Could it be my field is dry and I can only put in a little sewage at a time? " This tells me that there's a blockage somewhere in the line that must be cleared.
    Your drain field isn't "dry". If anything it's so loaded that it won't accept any more liquid. Could it be that solids got out in the drain field and clogged it up? However, the first thing I would dig up and check for a blockage is the septic tank manifold. That's where all the pipes from the drain field connect to the tank and it's located close to the tanks outlet. Please keep me informed. Good luck, Tom
    jeffandlinda Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 04:14 PM
    Septic is fixed ;-)
    Thanks Tom for your help. I learned a lot about my septic and gained a lot of Respect for plumbers. I did all the work myself but I will tell you if I had the money I would call a plumber. The problem was a leak at the field line that made it look like my field would not take on water. After fixing the leak everything works great. One thing I did learn is make sure you have a check Valve when you install a pump. The one I had was rusted out and I had no idea what it was so I asked Home depot for help and they also had no idea what it was. They told me it was a T used for clean out. Then I talked to a plumber at my work about what I was doing and he told me to make sure I install a check valve. Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Pump in a Basement [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all I am new to this board so forgive me if this has already been asked. I am in the process of adding a basement to our basement. We have a septic system with the discharge pipe about 3 feet above the floor. Several questions. I want to add a Toilet, sink and tub. What all has to be vented....

Sewage Pump/Tank/Toilet Problem? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs bathroom connected to a tank with a pump to move sewage up & out to our septic system. When the toilet is flushed, the water drains slowly, the bowl almost fills completely and the sink & toilet both start to gurgle & bubble. The drain line from the washing machine sink is...

Replaced thermostat - now no hear or a/c! [ 10 Answers ]

My 15-yr old thermostat has weird programming quirks that I got tired of so I bought a new one and installed it. I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and am quite sure that the wiring was correct. However, when I turned the breakers in my main house breaker panel back on neither...

Speedball1... Sewage pump location? [ 6 Answers ]

Speedball1, So I'm ready to connect the 4" ABS sewage line from out of the converted garage foundation to the Zoeller 910-0005 pump and wondered how far away I should place the pump from the cottage and whether there should be a cleanout between it and the cottage and if so, what kind? ...

Minimized web pages are replaced. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I am new to this site so if this is a stupid question please be understanding. Every time I minimize a web page and go to another web page, the first web Page disappears. I cannot ever have more than one web page open at a Time. Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks.

View more questions Search