Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spacefire5458 Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
    gravity/electromagnetism relationship
    How is gravity related to electromagnetism I know that the equation for gravity and coulomb's law are basically the same but how can they be related when the strength of the forces are so dramatically different? :confused:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Electromagnetism and gravity have not been linked together. Their formula are similar because they are both inverse square relationships, not because of any physical similarity.

Aug 3, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Do you think that there would ever be a possibility that they would ever be linked together?:D
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 01:56 PM
    The hope is to link all of the fundamental forces into a single theory, but that's a long way off yet, if it's even possible :)

The electromagnetic and weak force have already been linked in electroweak theory.

Electroweak interaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gravity looks like it will be the hardest one to incorporate.

Aug 3, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Does the strong force have the inverse square relationship?:)
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Nope, it goes as so it dies off VERY fast as you move further away. It is only really felt between nucleons.

Aug 3, 2007, 02:22 PM
    :) :) While gravity and electromagnetism is 1/R^2 and the strong force is 1/R^7 is that right cause if it is that was a huge help!!
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 02:35 PM
    I'm not totally sure that's right, but the strong force is negligible at few femtometers radius.

Aug 3, 2007, 02:49 PM
    :) Newton's law of universal gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it says Gm1m2/r^2 and coulomb's law is Kc q1q2/R^2 so if the strong force is 1/r^7 as it says on wikipedia then doesn't that mean if the particles get just a little bit away that the force gets much smaller. So even though at short distances it is strong because of 1/r^7 and the other forces are stronger at large distances because the force is not being divided by r^7 only r^2 is that right I think I'am confusing myself.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
    That's right, the strong force is incredibly strong at short range, but gets weak very quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tell me why earth has gravity [ 9 Answers ]

Can you tell me why earth has garvity and why earth rotates

Gravity [ 5 Answers ]

If 2 objects of different weight are thrown from equal height , which will reach the earth first, the heavier object or the lighter object, or both will reach at same time. :)

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

If a person were weighed at the North Pole, would he weigh more than if he were weighed at the equator? How about if he were on an elevator to the center of the Earth, would he weigh more or less as he descended? Just curious. Hank

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

How does the spinning of a planit affect its gravity.

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

At a certain point between the earth and the moon, the gravitational attraction towards the earth is exactly balanced by the gravitational attraction towards the moon. If a spacecraft is at that certain point, what is its distance from the center of the earth?

View more questions Search