Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SwingCEO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 11:42 PM
    My marriage
    OK, so my soulmate and I got married when he was in the hospital. It wasn't a real marriage though... no officient. THe officent was Everybody Loves Raymond on TV. The witnesses were the patients in the hospital. THe ceremony lasted about 5 minutes. He took my hand and took my Claddaugh ring off my finger (which was in the fiancé position) and put it back on in the married position. I looked him in the eyes with tears in mine and asked, "what was that for?" He simply replied, "we had to do it sometime". I like to think of it as a "hieros gamos". I was so happy. Two and a half weeks later he was dead. I can't change my last name because we weren't legally married, but I want to honor him by changing my middle name to his last name. Is that possible? Can I do that? How?

PLease help me make peace with my late husband. We may not have a piece of paper to prove our marriage. But we were married all the same.

~the nameless widow
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Aug 3, 2007, 12:51 AM
    I suppose you can change your name to almost anything you want... especially with the help of a good atty. I would contact one and go from there if this is something you really want to do.

A friend of mine raised her niece, and when she turned 18 she wanted to take their last name. I know it cost them $300 to have it done, but it was well worth it to them. If I remember right, it seems at the time she had to write something out as to "why" she wanted her last name changed... and this was submitted to the judge along w/other paperwork. It may have just been because of her young age- 18.

With you only wanting the middle name changed, I wonder if you still have to go through thr hassle of getting everything changed... SS card, drivers license, bank accts. work forms and on and on... what a hassle! Lol!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 3, 2007, 05:42 AM
    First of all, I'm heartbroken to hear of your loss. I'm so so sorry to hear such a terrible thing has happened to you. I can't imagine how much it must hurt your right now. :( {{HUGS}}

Secondly, I think you have a lovely idea to honor him and I'm sure he's smiling down upon you.
    I'm not sure where you're from, but my county webpage lists what is necessary to change a name. You have to fill out certain paperwork to be seen before a judge to grant your request to change. Once he/she does (why wouldn't he?? ) then you just fill out a few more forms... plus there may be a charge.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage at 18 [ 10 Answers ]

I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancée will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early?!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

About marriage [ 3 Answers ]

When will I get married?

Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I Was Born On 11.09.1992 At 4.25 Am My Question Is - At What Age Will I Get Married And Whether It Will Be A Love Marriage Or An Arrange Marriage?

Marriage to be or not to be [ 5 Answers ]

My finacee (25) and I (24) have been together for over a year. We have one son together that is 8 months old, we currently do not live together. He has primary custody of his other 2 kids (a 5 year old and 3 year old). His ex wife is a raging witch and always a thorn in our sides. SHe uses the...

View more questions Search