Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Centerpoint Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Water under concrete...
    I recently jackhammered a hole in my basement floor to search for a buried drain pipe. I found the pipe, and now I'm going to hire a plumber to center a shower drain for me. The problem I've experienced is a pool of water has accumulated under where the pipe is underground.
    I cleared the approximately 1.5 inches of water out of the hole only to find more water of about 1.5 inches in the same spot a couple of days later. The hole is about 9 inches deep. The water level doesn't exceed the 1.5 inches and I've been told not to worry about the water. I didn't hit the pipe, and it's not attached to any other fixtures. Should I worry about this or not?
    Thanks in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2005, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerpoint
    I recently jackhammered a hole in my basement floor to search for a buried drain pipe. I found the pipe, and now I'm going to hire a plumber to center a shower drain for me. The problem I've experienced is a pool of water has accumulated under where the pipe is underground.
    I cleared the aproximately 1.5 inches of water out of the hole only to find more water of about 1.5 inches in the same spot a couple of days later. The hole is about 9 inches deep. The water level doesn't exceed the 1.5 inches and I've been told not to worry about the water. I didn't hit the pipe, and it's not attached to any other fixtures. Should I worry about this or not?
    Thanks in advance.
    If that happened to me I'd be smelling the water to see if it had a soapy or a sewer smell. If not I would figure it was ground water, although I would be a little uneasy about ground water so close to the surface and consider installing a sump pump. Good luck, Tom
    Centerpoint Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Tom, I have a sump pit and pump about 33' away but what really concerns me is that the garage is on one side of the wall and the porch is on another side. The shower drain rough-in isn't even close to an outside wall, could this be an under ground spring, considering the water doesn't smell soapy or has a sewer smell?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2005, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerpoint
    Tom, I have a sump pit and pump about 33' away but what really concerns me is that the garage is on one side of the wall and the porch is on another side. The shower drain rough-in isn't even close to an outside wall, could this be an under ground spring, considering the water doesn't smell soapy or has a sewer smell?

Since the water table appears to be at least 7 1/2" beneath your floor and not raising the level I should imagine the sump pump would handle it. Since I don't hear any complaints about flooding I wouldn't worry too much. You may be setting on a artesian well but it doesn't appear to be a threat. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete price [ 5 Answers ]

I looking to have 8 yards of concrete done with a stamp finish for my walk way. About how much will that cost me?

Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this forum and I see some good answers to good questions. I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. I am looking to build a concrete patio and walkways. I have built my house using slab on grade with radiant heat. We compacted gravel, used vapor barrier, ...

Concrete curing [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my shower drain worked out great! I just poured my concrete and am wondering how I will know when to spray with water to keep it from cracking while it is curing. The slab is 3" thick and 3'x6 1/2'. I live in Denver, very dry climate. Especially this time of year. Your skin can't get enough...

To concrete or not to concrete [ 8 Answers ]

... that is the question, and here is my situation: I'm getting ready to drop in my Kholer 60" one piece fiberglass shower (no tub) on my basement concrete floor. I've asked two different contractor friends whether or not I should set in concrete. One said definitely, without hesitation. He said...

Concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... my question: I'm having a new concrete patio laid, it's about 15X30'... does it need re-bar... AND gravel? They have the re-bar down, but not gravel.. just dirt? Brad

View more questions Search