Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h060968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 02:42 AM
    Wiring to US savings account
    Hi guys,

Hopefully very easy question :)

I have a savings account in the US, but live and earn in the UK. I would like to transfer my earnings (after UK tax) to my US account simply by wiring the money from my UK account, and take advantage of the dollar-pound exchange rate (hoping that the dollar becomes stronger in the future :)). Is this legal? I mean would I have to pay any additional US-based tax on this money?

Thanks! :cool:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Sure it's legal; it's done all the time.

Now, if large amounts are transferred, you may have to explain to some at the Treasury Department from where did the money originate, but they usually do not get interested unless the amounts exceed $10,000.

Now, will taxes be due? Only if interest earned exceeds about $8,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Savings account with son [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a joint savings account with his step-son. My husband started this account more than 10 years ago and has money directly deposited into this account. My step-son has put no money into this account. My step-son has always been told this money was to be used for schooling, or if he...

What type of savings account should I open? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently saving about $1,000.00 per month. Right now it is just sitting in my checking account. I am hoping to purchase a town-house early next year with what I am saving. What type of account should I be saving into?

Savings Account [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there! I'm 23 years old. Both my girlfriend and I have good credit and decent income for our age. We want to purchase a home in the near future. What would be the best way to save for a down payment? Are there savings accounts that offer interest? What would be the best way to go?

How Much Savings for Retirement [ 4 Answers ]

A friend is planning on retiring by 50. She asked me how much money she should have in her retirement account in order to retirement. I gave her two scenarios: (1) with a retirement pension and (2) with no pension. So, if she has a pension, I told her she needed enough in her retirement...

Savings? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I'm thinking of buying a co-op in NY city. I make about 1000 a week and pay 1000 a mo. In rent, my share, Anyway, what would the cost savings be if any should I buy this apt. The mortgage would be about 1600 a mo. Plus 1000 for fees and taxes...

View more questions Search