Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayhols Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Does plasma donation affect menstrual cycle?
    I have been donating plasma for around a year now and have discontinued my birth control. For the first time in my life, my cycles are delayed and I have abnormal spotting often. I am wondering if anyone knows about this? I can find nothing on the internet... but plasma donation is the only thing I'm doing differently. I've been to my OBGYN who can find no other reason for my problems. Anyone hear of this? Or of having trouble conceiving while donating regularly? Thanks...
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:54 AM
    When did you stop taking th birth control? It is possible that the sudden lack of hormones is causing your cycle to act erratically.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:03 AM
    If you recently discontinued your birth control you may have what's known as post-pill amenorrhea. The pill prevents your body from making hormones involved in ovulation and menstruation. When you stop taking the pill, it can take some time for your body to return to normal production of these hormones. Were you on birth control to regulate your cycle? If I were you I would cease donating plasma for a while and see what that does.

Aug 1, 2007, 03:45 PM
    I stopped taking birth control over 4 months ago - the doc thinks I should have evened out by now. Previously when I stopped, my cycle became normal in 1-2 months... nope, I wasn't taking birth control for abnormal cycles, just for birth control. I don't know... thanks for the idea though.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:02 AM
    No problem, good luck!
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
    NO. Menstral blood is not the same as venuous or arterial blood-plasma donation would not be the problem here-I agree with others above^^^

Aug 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
    The only reason I was wondering is because your plasma is the part of your blood that carries hormones around your body... and if that were disrupted by taking a bunch out every few days? It didn't actually have to do with the BLOOD, just the hormones the plasma carries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plasma Donation [ 4 Answers ]

Is Diarrhea a possible side effect of donating plasma? Also, are there any long term effects?

Menstrual cycle [ 4 Answers ]

March 9th my period started and it was normal.around the 25th-31st of march I have been spotting and feeling a little crampy,what do you think is happening,and this is the first it has ever done this.

View more questions Search