Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kim_Boyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Dangling debit
    If Sales and Income were overstated for a period, wouldn't I find the "dangling debit" in the Accounts Receivable? And why would it not be found in the Inventory account?

I know it has to be in an Asset account, but I am confused. Wouldn't you have more inventory than you were supposed to according to Sales and Cost of goods sold?

Please explain. Thanks for any help.
    Kim
    bhet Posts: 77, Reputation: 9

Jul 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
    If income and sales is ovestted then, either the cash account or account receivable is also ovestated.
    conroypi Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Bhet is correct. In addition, you can have overstated income in a period without affecting Inventory. It depends on which transaction created the overstatement. For example, was there a booking error where an equity transaction was expensed? For example, a draw to a partner in a business should run through equity on the balance sheet and not payroll on the profit and loss, even if processed through a third-party payroll company. If this was done, your cash would be correct (credited), your net income would be overstated from the erroneous expense (debited) in that period and inventory is not affected. This could also happen if you have a misdated reimbursement or refund for a non-inventory item posted in the wrong period. Your revenue (credit) and your cash (debit) would be overstated. Make sure to identify the cause because multiple accounts may be affected and then fix your internal process for that transaction to add a control or "double-check" so it cannot be repeated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debit cards [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all I was just wondering if it is better to use a debit card when paying bills or would it be better to write a check, I always pay my monthly bills by check but I have heard so much about debit cards I was just wondering I have two accounts one for spending and one for paying bills ...

Debit or credit [ 1 Answers ]

On October 1, 20x1, the Jernnigan Company paid $4800 for a one-year insurance policy. On December 31, 20x1, the adjusting entry would include a. a debit to Insurance Expense, $3,600 b. a credit to Insurance Payable, $1,200 c. a credit to Prepaid Insurance, $1,200 d. a debit to Insurance...

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

What happens after the debit collectors? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't made a credit card payment since July of 2005. All three of my credit cards have sent my debit to debit collectors. They (those nasty collectors) call and leave messages several times a week. I have received letters asking for confirmation of the debit, but I have never responded or...

Debit and credit [ 2 Answers ]

What's the diffeent between debit and credit

View more questions Search