Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddie12 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Trane XL 16i, humidity control
    We recently purchased a Trane 16XLi with a variable speed air handler. According to their ads, the unit has the ability to remove up to 24 gals. Of moisture per day. With the temp. set at 75 degrees, the humidity is running at a minimum of 55% at night and 57%-61% during the day. I've read that 45% is ideal for the home.

The only way I can get the humidity down below 50% is to run the unit at 68 degrees. No way. What's going on?

Thanks.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Talk to your installing contractor about increasing the temperature differential between the first and second stage settings in your thermostat. The more the system runs the more humidity it will remove, so by running on a single stage(low cool) most of the time it would run longer, Mike

Jul 28, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddie12
    We recently purchased a Trane 16XLi with a variable speed air handler. According to their ads, the unit has the ability to remove up to 24 gals. of moisture per day. With the temp. set at 75 degrees, the humidity is running at a minumum of 55% at night and 57%-61% during the day. I've read that 45% is ideal for the home.

The only way I can get the humidity down below 50% is to run the unit at 68 degrees. No way. What's going on?

Thanks.
    I forgot to mention that we have a Trane 803 thermostat with dehumidity control. Isn't that what this option is supposed to do?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Yes , but the settings have to be adjusted during the advanced setup by the installer,
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jul 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Where do you live? If it is in a humid climate, leakage from windows and doors could be keeping the humidity high.

Jul 28, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I live in northwest Arkansas but our house is well insulated----windows, attic, doors, etc. We've done everything we can to make it energy efficient. Outside RH is 67%.

Thanks for the replys.

Will ask the installer to try adjusting the settings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Control Board on Trane Unit [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Does anybody have any experience replacing the control board (CNT 03798) on a trane unit? I had an HVAC guy check out the unit, and he told me that was the part that needed replacing. I'd like to do it myself to save several $100.00 on the job, but I've never done it before. It...

Off-coil humidity of AHU [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am new in this site. Can anybody tell me how the relative humidity works in a recirculating AHU. My indoor air temp is 24deg, 50% RH. When I cool this air to 13deg. Centigrade the RH is becoming 100%. Can I use this 100% RH air directly to space or do I have to use reheating to reduce th...

Quote on 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 and var spd Trane Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I was just quoted on a 2nd floor A/C replacement, condenser and var speed blower, 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 with upgrade options. Live in CT Are these prices sane ? Includes removal of old unit, upgrade of refrig line, added insulation on old ductwork - work to be done in walkup attic Quote...

Humidity [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering where I should have my humidifier in my home. Should it be by a cold air return or farther away, or by the thermostat? Does it even matter as long as I keep it running?

Humidity and Oil Heating [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have oil heating and our windows are always fogged up with a good amount of condensation when the heater is on. We are now starting to see red mold forming on the bottom of the window panes. The normal winter humidity level in the house is usually around 65%. Is that too high? Is...

View more questions Search