Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandonjp Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Jul 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Harbor Breeze Avian Ceiling Fan - very dim light
    I bought and installed a 52" Harbor Breeze Avian ceiling fan with a built-in light kit from Lowe's, but the light is VERY VERY dim. It takes a 100w halogen bulb... I tried replacing it because I thought maybe it was just the bulb, but the next one was just as dim. I've searched all over for help on this - anyone have any tips?
    Thanks
    --bp

Jul 27, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Well... I just got off the phone with the Harbor Breeze (Lowes) customer service center (1-800-444-6742) and found the answer to my problems...

**Simply hold down on the green Light button on the remote and it acts as a dimmer for the light in the ceiling fan.

I tried it and sure enough it works... hold down on the button and the light cycles through brightness levels. I looked all through the manual and couldn't find anything like this so I asked the lady, "Is that somewhere in the printed manual?" She said, "No." So I asked "How was I supposed to know this?" And she replied, "By calling me."

Good luck
    --bp
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
    What a waste of time for you. And it makes them look like an idiot.
    Glad problem resolved.
    jans1812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Sorry, no tips. Unfortunately, I can confirm the dimness of the light in new fans of this model.

But it is interesting that last season I got 2 fans of this model, and the light in them is adequate. Not great, but okay for general use and definitely much brighter than the 3rd fan of this model, which I just bought this season.

On this season's version, I also noticed that the actual manufacturer seems to be different; not only is the box different, but some of the parts are actually slightly different in size. So I assume Harbor Breeze sent the same specs to a different factory. For example, I noticed that the glass light cover does not seat as well and shows the metal base more than my earlier fans, also that there is more wobble during operation (tho not enough to make it not work).

Good luck!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
    For wobble, try balancing the blades:

Ceiling fan blade balancing issues - Ceiling Fans N More
    jans1812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    For wobble, try balancing the blades:

Ceiling fan blade balancing issues - Ceiling Fans N More
    It's not exactly that kind of wobble... in this design the fan blades rotate circumferentially around the central round light fixture (rather than above it), and on this 1-year-newer fan it looks like the parts are not as precisely 'in-round'. May it's better to say there is the 'appearance' of wobble. I listed it as an example of the slightly lower quality of manufacture, from one year to the next. But I appreciate the suggestion C-F-R.

Also, hurray! I got to actually confirm on the newer remote, and it does have that dimmer function. Thanks for your research BP!

-JS

Aug 2, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jans1812
    On this season's version, I also noticed that the actual manufacturer seems to be different; not only is the box different, but some of the parts are actually slightly different in size. So I assume Harbor Breeze sent the same specs to a different factory. For example, I noticed that the glass light cover does not seat as well and shows the metal base more than my earlier fans, also that there is more wobble during operation (tho not enough to make it not work).
    I'm actually quite pleased with my fan overall... but I agree with about everything you mentioned. My fan's just a bit (just a little, little bit) wobbly and YES the glass light cover definitely doesn't fit into the metal fan casing as well as I'd hoped.

I really don't know much about the fan industry, but I did start to put together that (and this is basically my assumptions after all the research I did) Harbor Breeze was bought out by Lowe's so this years models were essentially made the same, but were possibly constructed with cheaper parts. Additionally, Harbor Breeze's customer service number now routes to the general Lowe's helpline. (and here folks is the real joy of the internet... some schmuck like me is delivering info on a subject he really knows nothing about... at all - I bought a fan and it works and I'm happy with it... that's the real story!)
    --bp
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Harbor Breeze is Lowe's relabel brand, they were never an independent brand.

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fans - Ceiling Fans N More
    soileau6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Comment on brandonjp's post
    I had the samr problem and it worked for me
    soileau6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp
    Well... I just got off the phone with the Harbor Breeze (Lowes) customer service center (1-800-444-6742) and found the answer to my problems....

**Simply hold down on the green Light button on the remote and it acts as a dimmer for the light in the ceiling fan.

I tried it and sure enough it works...hold down on the button and the light cycles through brightness levels. I looked all through the manual and couldn't find anything like this so I asked the lady, "Is that somewhere in the printed manual?" She said, "No." So I asked "How was I supposed to know this?" And she replied, "By calling me."

good luck
    --bp
    I had the same problem and it worked for me. Thanks for the help. It saved me the time and money of replacing the fan.
    aeklose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 10:20 AM
    You helped us out big time! I was just getting ready to call the company! Thank you for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp View Post
    Well... I just got off the phone with the Harbor Breeze (Lowes) customer service center (1-800-444-6742) and found the answer to my problems....

I tried it and sure enough it works...hold down on the button and the light cycles through brightness levels. I looked all through the manual and couldn't find anything like this so I asked the lady, "Is that somewhere in the printed manual?" She said, "No." So I asked "How was I supposed to know this?" And she replied, "By calling me."

good luck
    --bp
    dutch1362 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Thank you for the post regarding the dim lights... I tried it and it worked. What a lifesaver!!
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 05:57 PM

Glad we helped.
    Steph1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 05:03 AM

Just purchased and had two Harbor Breeze ceiling fans installed. Lights are too dim to ready by. I know about the remote, and this does not help. Can light kit be replaced with ones that use standard 60w bulbs instead of the candelabra bulbs? If so, where can I get the light kits?
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 08:16 PM

What model did you get?
    srivera511 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 08:05 PM
    Wow! I'm so glad you posted this because we were about to disassemble the whole thing to figure out what was wrong. We had replaced the bulbs several times. I guess that when you replace them you have to cycle through the dimmer until you get to the point you want it when you install replacement bulbs. Good to know!
    DMwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
    After hours of trying to fix my very low light on this fan, your answer of holding down the remote light button worked!

I can not thank you enough-it has saved me hours of vacation time!

DW

slopez513 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
    Wow! Your probably was my problem to the T. I bought my house with 2 Harbor Breeze fans/lights already installed and of course, no manual was left. One day my bedroom light was super dim. I went out and bought a new light bulb, installed and to my frustration it was still dim. Then I found your post... thank you, thank you, thank you!
    bauhinia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Thank you so much for sharing your answer. The light on my harbor breeze fan was so dim that I redeem it useless. I have replaced the bulbs and was about to remove the wireless remote before I came across your posting online.
    I am quite "impressed" that Lowe's won't even bother to mention such an important feature in the manual. I am sure there are a lot other annoyed and confused Harbor Breeze customers out there. Lowe's THANKS a bundle for wasting my whole weekend before Christmas trying to "fix" the light issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light bulb in harbor breeze ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a new harbor breeze ceiling fan and the light went out. After finally figuring out how to get the light fixture off the ceiling fan, I'm now trying to figure how to open the enclosure of the light. This fan was not made with the consumer's best interest. The screw heads are on the...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan w/ Light [ 11 Answers ]

Please help! I cannot figure out how to change the burnt out light in my ceiling fan. I have tried turning the glass portion, but it won't budge. Any ideas? I've tried the Harbor Breeze website, but cannot find the manual online. :( Thanks!

Ceiling Fan working, Fan light not, Harbor Breeze [ 7 Answers ]

I recently tried to help a friend install a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/ a light kit (this model 52" White Ceiling Fan ENERGY STARŪ) The fan has 4 wires: green, white, black, and blue. The house has 3 wires: green, white, and black. Per the instructions we hooked up the green to green,...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan With Neon Light Kit [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased and installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with a blue neon light kit. It was neat at first, but I am trying to sell my home and really need a more conservative light kit. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a replacement or if it can be replaced at all? Please advise. ...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Light Kit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old ceiling fan. The fan was controlled by the pull chain and the light by the wall switches (2 three-way). The new fan is a Harbor Breeze. Installed it, the light works with either 3-way switch. The fan works fine on all speeds. However, when the fan is turned on with the light...

View more questions Search