Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingcon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Remodeling with Slab Foundation
    I want to remodel my house with a slab foundation. To keep things simple I'm trying to re-use the existing plumbing & gas (in kitchen) connections. I also want to add a bathroom in what is currently the garage. It has laundry hook-ups for washer & dryer so I'm thinking I can use those, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. I'm an interior designer with a project manager in construction background but I've never worked on a home with a slab foundation before. I'm used to being able to see the pipes, drains, etc. Any advice would be appreciated as I am in the planning stages right now & want to keep my costs & upheaval to a minimum. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 22, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcon
    I want to remodel my house with a slab foundation. To keep things simple I'm trying to re-use the existing plumbing & gas (in kitchen) connections. I also want to add a bathroom in what is currently the garage. It has laundry hook-ups for washer & dryer so I'm thinking I can use those, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. I'm an interior designer with a project manager in construction background but I've never worked on a home with a slab foundation before. I'm used to being able to see the pipes, drains, etc. Any advice would be appreciated as I am in the planning stages right now & want to keep my costs & upheaval to a minimum. Thanks.
    In my area all our houses are on slabs. First off, you're not going to be able to use a 2" laundry drain line to pick up a bathroom group drainage. You'll need to go to 3 or 4" for the main branch and 2" for the lavatory and tub/shower drains. Let me show you a typical, (in my area) bathroom group rough in. This configuation only uses one vent for the entire group.
    4" ,(under cement and basements) 3" (on first and second floor) from the toilet to the main. The lavatory to connect to the toilet drain line and vent to the roof or revent back in the attic to a existing roof vent. The tub/shower to connect to the lavatory drain line and be wet vented by it as will the toilet. Be advised to always check local codes before changing or remodeling your drainage system.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

Remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Henry. I am a database manager at a financial institution. My daughters and I purchased a house and I am doing some renovations on the hours for them. I am removing a 16 foot load bearing wall on the first floor that is supporting 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor. I am building...

Tub Overflow drain on a Slab Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am currently in the process of remodeling a bathroom in a cottage set on a slab foundation. I discovered that by removing the standup shower and the waterheater that was next to it, I have enough room for a tub. The problem is that the main drain for the shower is not on the same...

Platform for garden tub on Slab Foundation ? [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a slab foundation home with a shower-only stall in the master bath. I want to replace the shower with a garden tub without jackhammering up the slab. The layout is such I cannot expand to the sides to allow the tub to be placed in the current location of the shower. (Side wall...

View more questions Search