Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    combatchief Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Replacing a ceiling fan with a standard 2 bulb light fixture
    After removing the ceiling fan there were two cables of wire coming into the junction box in the ceiling. One cable (I think from the wall switch) has a red, black, white, and bare copper ground wire. The other cable in the junction box has a black, white, and bare copper ground wire. When I installed the new fixture I first capped off the red wire then connected all the white wires together, all the black wires together, and the ground wires together (attached to the base plate). Well, when I turned on the main power at the breaker panel the light fixture is on constantly and no on/off control from the wall switch. I did take off the switch plate at the wall switch and low and behold the red and black wires are coming off the switch. How do I tie in the red wire at the ceiling junction box with the light fixture and the other incoming cable?? HELP!. Thanks in advance!!
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 07:31 PM
    If you only have one switch then it is breaking the black wire to the red wire , what is the white wire connected to in the switch? At the ceiling the white wires do all hook together and the two blacks in the ceiling box hook together and the red goes to the light black .
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Ok, what wires are coming off the switch, and what type of switch is it?
    MatthewParry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 10:28 AM
    I encountered a very similar situations (but with three black wires, three white wires and one red) when I replaced a ceiling fan / light combo with a standard light fixture and the reply from ACETC solved my problem, so many thanks (more than 4 years after the original posting... )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Light bulb for Hampton Bay ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I bought a Carriage House II Hampton Bay ceiling fan on Friday. One of the bulbs included with the fan doesn't work. The box says 40 watt max. I went back to Home Depot today (Monday) and they don't carry this particular light; they have a 60 watt. It has a candelabra base but the...

Light bulb broke in ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

A light bulb blew in my son's ceiling fan. When my husband went to replace it the bulb shattered and the silver metal surrounding it, flakes off when we try to untwist the bulb. The metal is almost like foil now and when you try and turn the base of the bulb it will not budge. If you try to turn it...

Ceiling Fan Light Fixture problem? [ 10 Answers ]

Well the fan / light combination is only just over a year old. It has a remote control for the three speeds of the fan and the light on / off. Basically the other morning when trying to turn on my light - it wasn't turning on. The bulbs had power to them as the filaments were barely lit up,...

Ceiling fan light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture in this house... how do I get the plastic connectors off the wiring to put on new connectors - the connectors in the light kit I bought do not fit the wiring in the ceiling fan, so I need to replace the connectors, right? I'm soooooooo clueless!

View more questions Search