Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marykrn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Court order to remove fathers name from birth certificate in PA
    My sister got pregnant when she was 21 and had her baby. The father took off when she was 5 months pregnant. She was very naïve and thought he was coming back so she put his name on the birth certificate. Well, he never came back and it's 12 years later. We have reason to believe that he had also lied about his name and we probably don't even know his real name. (Also found out that he was married). Well, we are have a family reunion on a cruise and when we tried to get my niece a passport we were told that he needs to sign permission since he is on the birth certificate. We have no clue on how to find him. Our family still lives in the same house and has the same phone number and he has never made an attempt to contact his daughter. We were told that we need to get a court order to have his name removed from the birth certificate. Does anyone know how the process works especially with us not really having any "true" information on the father. Also how long does the process take. We are just getting worried as the whole "family" will be on the cruise and we want her to be part of this.

Thanks!
    Mary
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Well has your sister ever went to court to get full custody and get the fathers right taken away.

If you had such court orders, then it should be no issue getting a passport,
    Depending on your state it may not be possible to actually remove him, without proving he was not the father. But getting full custody should be no problem.
    marykrn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Fr Chuck,

My sister never got legal custody. She has been married for the last 10 years and her husband assumes my nieces care (medical, financial, etc.). To him that is his daughter but he never adopted her as he was told that they would have to hire a detective and try to locate him. Financially, that just didn't/don't have that extra money. Would it be complicated for her to get "custody" when she is unable to find the father? Does the process take a very long time?

Thanks!
    Mary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add my fathers name to my birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother never put my fathers name on my birth certificate. (nice one mom) I found him a couple of years ago and met him for the first time and it was great and blah blah blah and he's OK with me putting his name on it, but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to get from him to do this?...

Adult child seeking to put biological fathers name on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Forget it.. I'm calling an attorney!

Adding a fathers name to birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Now that Paternity has been established, how to I go about adding the father to my son's birth certificatr?

Birth Certicate Fathers name [ 3 Answers ]

When I was 9 my stepfather adopted my brother and I. My mother was married to him for 35 years and last year he divorced her. Many years ago my brother took his real last name back and recently I have also, I would also like to get my birth certificate to reflect my real fathers name also. He is...

Adding fathers name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add a fathers name to a birth certificate that just has the mothers name on it. I live in Florida

View more questions Search