Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2005, 12:59 AM
    Used computer change name of admistrator
    My friend gave me a used computer.The computer has the name of the person who used the computer as her computer. How can I put my name as the administrator and remove her as the prime admistrator? She no longer works for my friend. Thanks Fred
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2005, 02:45 AM
    What version of Windows does it have?

Jul 15, 2005, 05:02 PM
    Used computer
    I have windows XP Home edition.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Change Name
    Hi, Fred,
    I like your name...
    Please go to this link:

http://training.binghamton.edu/navdi...ename=EDU-WTKT

It has step by step instructions (with pictures) on how to change the Administrator name.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jul 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
    Used Computer Thanks Fredg
    The information was great. My only question is how do I take her name off the wecome page ? The page has her name on the computer.I turn off her computer.Thanks again Fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2005, 05:21 AM
    If she is listed as a user on the Welcome page, login as an Admin, go to Control Panel and select Users. Then delete the User account.

Jul 20, 2005, 01:07 PM
    Thanks ScottGem But
    After I delete her as the administrator her name still shows up on the welcome page.Example turn off (her name) computer. I am the sole administrator and user of the computer. Thanks again Fred

Jul 21, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by radio309
    After I delete her as the administrator her name still shows up on the welcome page.Example turn off (her name) computer. I am the sole administrator and user of the computer. Thanks again Fred
    Can you do a screen shot of where you still see here name? Attach it to a post here.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2005, 06:10 AM
    XP Welcome Screen
    Hi, Fred,
    Here are steps to do a Registry Edit, which will get rid of that name for you:

1. Go to Start, Run and type in "regedit"
    2. Go to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t]
    3. Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "Administrator" and set it to 0.
    4. Exit out of the Registry Editor, and restart.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Jul 21, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Radio,
    Unless you are very comfortable with editing the Registry I would reserve doing that as a last resort. Try posting the screen shot as I suggested and lets take a look at what you are seeing there may be an safer and easier way to make the change.

Jul 22, 2005, 05:05 AM
    Used Computer name change
    Hi ScottGem I also think editing the registry may get me in hot water.My friend once told me to change the registry on my old computer with ms dos.That was a bad idea. It took some help to get my computer going again.I do not know how to do a screen shot. I can tell you I only see her name as. On the lower left corner turning off (her name) computer. I was able to delete her name as the administrator. Thanks again have a great weekend. Fred

Jul 22, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Press Alt+PrntScrn. This will save the screen to the clipboard. Open MS Paint and paste in the screen shot. Then Save As a JPG.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2005, 08:56 AM
    Registry
    Hi,
    Don't attempt to change or edit your Registry using DOS; you can get into hot water (boiling) like that.
    There is nothing wrong with editing your Registry, if you follow those steps from Microsoft.
    Besides, every time you shut down your computer, it saves a copy of your Registry. If something happens, you can boot to "Last know good configuration", and restore it.
    Everyone has to learn, sooner or later, how to get into the Registry, if you intend on fixing stuff yourself, without taking it to a computer shop and paying out high dollars!
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jul 22, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Don't attempt to change or edit your Registry using DOS; you can get into hot water (boiling) like that.
    There is nothing wrong with editing your Registry, if you follow those steps from Microsoft.
    Besides, every time you shut down your computer, it saves a copy of your Registry. If something happens, you can boot to "Last know good configuration", and restore it.
    Everyone has to learn, sooner or later, how to get into the Registry, if you intend on fixing stuff yourself, without taking it to a computer shop and paying out high dollars!
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    You know Fred, you can't have it both ways. Several times I have seen you recommend taking it to a computer shop rather then risk further damage. Now you recommend risking the machine. Please be more consistent.

I am very experienced. I am comfortable editing the Registry. But I still reserve that as a last resort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a change... [ 6 Answers ]

I am feeling so fed up lately, don't feel like I am living at all - only existing. I know the path I am currently following is all wrong. It was a good escape from my last job; but now I can see that I need to change course and venture down a new path. There are opportunities waiting fro me, but...

Name Change? First Name [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to change my first name. I can't find anything in Tennessee law about changing your first name. It is stated as name. I assume it is the same as both. I really don't want to change my name but the spelling of my first name. As I said I live in Tennessee. Can anyone point me in the right...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Dso change [ 8 Answers ]

Hi :) I have read on here in several places to change the 1004 to 3 but this makes dso not able to find it, it does not get rid of the dso. So why bother changing it at all if it still leaves it on the computer. You can go into your spybot and just put it in the ignore list if you don't...

View more questions Search