Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Jul 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
    General's Middle name
    I am not a civil war buff,but am curious.What does the E. stand for in Robert E. Lee? And the S.in Ulysses S. Grant? I may have learned it and forgotten, I just can't remember.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 11:25 AM
    The E in Robert E. Lee stands for Edward. And the S. stands for Simpson in Ulysses S. Grant.

Jul 18, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Thank you,my curiosity is satisfied.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Not to rain on J_9 too much here...

The S in Ulysses S Grant never officially stood for anything. Simpson is a reasonable assumption for it, as it is both his mother's maiden name, and the middle name of Ulysses S Grant, Jr. However, Ulysses S Grant wasn't his given name... that was due to a mistake at the time of his appointment to West Point. He never used anything other than the initial during his life.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
    And the S never had a period after it, to further indicate it didn't stand for any name.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Well. I stand corrected. I just looked it all up on Google. But now that you say this I think I do remember learning that in History class a few semesters ago.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Aug 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Just think, as we get older we find that so much of what we learned in school,has so many variables than what we were taught. I never thought about there being no period after the S. I always assumed it was there,so see what happens when we assume?
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
    You guys may know a lot about Grant, but have you ever visited his house?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Middle School [ 17 Answers ]

I'm starting middle school this fall and I want some advice on how to handle it, I've read all the books and websites, but I need more! Confused

Caught in the middle [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I’ m in living in relation for about a year now, and my partner suddenly started talking against my parents especially about my stepfather. He wants me to keep away from them and recently he told me not send them financial help. Now my problem is that I can’t ignore my parents and stop...

Middle name change [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to change my son's middle name. He's currently 7yrs old. I was wondering if I need to have his father's consent? We've had no contact from his father in 6yrs. And he does not pay child support. He contributes nothing to the welfare of my son. I don't want to change his last name...

Middle of the week already? [ 1 Answers ]

Rolls Royce Moshe was at his golf club and went into the clubhouse to see whether anyone could offer him a lift to Hendon. His own car was off the road being serviced. "Sure," said Morry, "I'll give you a lift. My Rolls Royce is just outside." As they're driving along, Moshe says,...

Middle name [ 6 Answers ]

My sister has her names picked out (girl or boy) But we can't think of a middle name to go with Wyatt _____ Can you help

View more questions Search