Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbpup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Air admittance valve or Loop?
    Our kitchen sink has two 2" ABS drains straight through the floor, where I assume they come together. The basement is finished, so I don't have access below the kitchen floor. The sink is on an island, so there is no way to vent through the roof. The original plumbing used a loop just below countertop level connecting above the two sink drain holes. I assume this was for venting and perhaps antisiphon? I am replacing this plumbing as part of our remodel, and will have to either lower this loop to accommodate deeper sink basins (the new loop would be below the bottom of the basins) or install an air admittance valve at the top of each ABS stack left under the sink (but above where the PVC of each sink drain enters the ABS stack). Which way is best? Or is there another way I should consider?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Does it look like this? This might help. Black & Decker Power Tools
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2007, 09:40 AM
    A regular vent's always preferable to a mechanical vent unless it's impossible to run a regular vent. The reason being that mechanical vents can fail. That's why it's against code to cover up a AAV. They must be assessable so they can be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plumbpup
    Our kitchen sink has two 2" ABS drains straight thru the floor, where I assume they come together. The basement is finished, so I don't have access below the kitchen floor. The sink is on an island, so there is no way to vent through the roof. The original plumbing used a loop just below countertop level connecting above the two sink drain holes. I assume this was for venting and perhaps antisiphon? I am replacing this plumbing as part of our remodel, and will have to either lower this loop to accomodate deeper sink basins (the new loop would be below the bottom of the basins) or install an air admittance valve at the top of each ABS stack left under the sink (but above where the PVC of each sink drain enters the ABS stack). Which way is best? Or is there another way I should consider?
    If the current system is a foot vent, I'd cut and cap the 1-1/2" vent and just install an AAV, provided your local authority allows AAV's, of course.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stew_1962
    Does it look like this? This might help. Black & Decker Power Tools
    Nice photo illustration of a foot vent, but it wouldn't pass inspection as is -- It needs a clean-out on the vertical portion of the vent coming up the wall -- And the two sanitary tee's below the floor should be combo's.

Also, the 2" clean out below the floor would be great if installed where accessible from a crawlspace, but would be useless if there is a finished basement below it -- In that case, one would need to install a clean out tee just below the trap arm tee.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Yeah... missing a cleanout. I found a better one.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DW Vent or Air Gap loop? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hello - I have a DW that is vented and then runs to just below the double sink opposite the disposal. I want to install a new faucet and would like to make a Looped air gap rather than use the vent on top of the counter. Do I have to loop it through the disposal or could I just go with...

Oil blowing from valve air tube [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 16hp briggs& srtatton twin cylinder engine with magnetron ignition, its an 1980 model. Got the mower started after wiring problems sloved and now it is blowing oil out the vent tube that goes from the valve vent area to the carbrator breather housing. It runs good and does not miss at...

Odor in kitchen/air-admittance vent [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I rent and live on the top floor. We were told that we have a sewage vent under our kitchen sink which I can only assume is a air-admittance vent. We have been complaining of a foul odor coming from the kitchen for over a month and the maintenance seems unable to fix anything. ...

Gas drip leg?/air valve? [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions. First, whenever I run a gas line to a major appliance such as a furnace or water heater I always install a drip leg for the obvious reasons. I’ve never thought about it until recently but I have never seen (or at least remember) a drip leg installed on the gas line that supplies...

Air Admittance Valve [ 4 Answers ]

I was reading up on these, if I were to install one, they say to install them above the highest flood level of the space the valve is in. I am installing a toilet and sink in my basement. And you recommended this. Does this mean I must install a new stack in the bathroom above the sink level with...

View more questions Search