Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcbiller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Evicting Tenant Without a Lease in FL
    Hi All,
    I am new to this site so hello to everybody out there! I am having a problem with a nightmare roommate who I have asked to leave, but anticipate having problems with her actually moving out. I am in Florida and I am technically not supposed to have a roommate who is not on the lease, but I cannot afford an apartment by myself - it's just impossible down here. And I do not have any other signed agreement unfortunately. Does anyone know what the rules are concerning a situation like this or can anyone suggest the best steps to take to get rid of this woman? She is totally disrespecting my home, has started drinking again and is bringing in drunk men. Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2007, 11:07 AM
    She pays rent to you and then you pay the landlord? And you have no formal lease with her?

On that basis she is a month to month tenant, and you can terminate the lease with notice equal to one full rental period (calendar month?). Serve her notice that you want her out. If she refuses, then you will have to go through formal a eviction process. Check with the local courts on what that is.

Jul 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Yes, that's correct. She pays me and I pay the complex and I have no signed document with her. Would I have to give her a full month notice because I'm sure she will not pay me any rent for any part of August? To be honest, under other circumstances, I would want to be fair and give a persons even 2 months to find another place, but after having to chase her down for the rent, having her eat my food, mess up my place and the other things I have already mentioned. I just want her out. Frankly, I don't even feel totally safe - I'm not sure what she is capable of when she is drinking being that I don't know her very well. Thanks very much for your help!. R
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
    You have to follow whatever rules there are for evictions in your area.

Jul 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Ok, Scott thanks!. Robin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Evicting tenant, contract for deed in Missouri [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to evict my tentants for lack of payment for the last eight months. I have had lawyers send letters giving them thirty days to move and they refuse. My last attempt was with a lawyer to take them to court and have them evicted. On the day of court we receive information stating...

Evicting someone not on the lease [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of VA. My older brother has been living with me and my children for over a year now as he needed a place to stay. I didn't think this would be a long term thing but it doesn't look like he plans on going anywhere. He is not the easiest person to get along with and doesn't pay...

Tenant evicting another tenant [ 2 Answers ]

The Lease is in my name and my husband is listed as a tenant, how do I get him out? Will I have to evict him? If so, how do I go about this, there really isn't a lot of information on one tentant evicting another tenant. Please help.:confused:

View more questions Search