Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkdgal Posts: 51, Reputation: 13

Jul 11, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Am I fat?
    I am 5'6", and I weigh 116 pounds. Is this considered overweight, because I feel like it! My stomach isn't flat!! :( I am 15 years old.
    Serenity77 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jul 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Your seeing things honey. The media has a wonderful way of screwing up people's perception of beauty. Your not fat, from your height and weight... you have no reason to think that. If it's just "feeling" that way, there are a lot of things that you can do to remedy that! I know, I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder... it's a terrible thing to live with.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities

Check this out, you migth feel better if you do ;)

Jul 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
    About Body Dysmorphic Disorder, BDD, Eating Disorders
    Sarah76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdgal
    I am 5'6", and I weigh 116 pounds. Is this considered overweight, because I feel like it! My stomach isn't flat!!!!! :( I am 15 years old.
    At 5'6" and 116 pounds, you are slightly under the ideal weight range for a female of your height (the weight range being 120 - 160 lbs). Because you are a teen and are still maturing into your adult body, you are likely at a very healthy weight right now even though slightly underweight, if you go by the charts. Another way to gauge the healthiness of your weight is by knowing your Body Mass Index, or BMI. Your BMI is 18.7 which is on the slender edge of the normal range (normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9). No one has a perfectly flat stomach, and women are supposed to have what is called a scaphoid, or curved abdomen. I can assure you that you are supposed to have a little bit of a curve there...it is healthy and normal and attractive! Appreciate your body while you are young and it is in peak condition...I would suggest just to make sure that you eat healthfully, indulge once in a while when you have a craving (I find that sticking to my healthy diet during the week and then allowing myself whatever I want on the weekends works best for me), and exercise several times a week. With a slender frame you may make an excellent runner. I also find spinning and yoga to be a lot of fun. If you don't work out regularly now, don't give up in the first few weeks! It will be hard at first, but you will be surprised at how quickly you begin to gain strength and endurance and a feeling of accomplishment.

If you are 5'6" and 116 lbs... that is a blessing! If you think you are fat, you probably have a distorted body image and may need to talk to someone... a personal trainer at a local gym may help you in the right direction or your guidance counselor at school. If you start healthy routines now, you can't go wrong later in life.

Jul 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Amen Sarah76... that was motivating for myself too ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
    My little brother used to "feel pale" in order to get out of going to school. (My mother didn't fall for it.)

No, you're not fat, even if you "feel" like it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get fat [ 34 Answers ]

Hey guys. For some reason I want to get fat. I've already gained 10 pounds. I find it erotic for some reason. I've always wanted to become fat my whole life but I couldn't because I was worried of what people would think of me. I'm 5'7 170. I have a chubby belly but I'm thinking of eating for fatty...

Just look fat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Im 24 year old female. I have a healthy BMI (normal). I don't eat a lot and I had been working out in the gym doing both weight and cardio about 3 time a week. However, I am still looking very fat. How come ? I am not obese under the BMI range and I eat very little. How do I make myself look...

Want to become fat [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 23. I'm so thin. I want to become fat so soon. At least with in 2 months. My height is 5'4 and I'm only 40 kgs. Please help me on this. Could you suggest me some tips on this Bye

About fat [ 2 Answers ]

Well, I have lot of fat at my chest area and I want to loose fat from the chest area. Can any one suggest me how I can loose fat from chest area by exercises?

I'm getting fat! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Please can you help me I don't know if I am getting fat or not.I weigh 90pounds and I am about 150 cm tall, I have quite a lot of fat around my chest and back and my belly has a lot of fat and has rolls of fat but also hangs a bit over my trousers. Can you help me please...

View more questions Search