Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CindyRay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Chapter 13 and selling or renting house
    I am in my final year of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and have accepted a job 200 miles away in a different state. I cannot afford both an apartment there and my house payment. My son is already living there so I can stay with him and come home on weekends to get the house ready to sell. I haven't found out about any relocation options from my new company yet. I will find that out tomorrow. I have talked to the realtor who sold me the house and she is getting the specs on how much it can list it. I can also find a renter and rent it out for the payment till my bankruptcy is over. I'm leaning towards renting it because I have to go back to the court to sell the house and then put it on the market. Any ideas or advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Of course if you sell it while in your chapter 13, the money you get as a profit may be taken for the court If you rent it, you may still have to file a new payment information sheet, since you wll need to show this as income and then show the expense of the payments and costs of rental as money paid out.

Also of course the court should be notified of the new employment and if you earn more money at the new job, the court has to be notified of that also
    CindyRay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Right after I went into bankruptcy, I had to notify the court of the increase in my wages because it was over 10%. They didn't increase the amount because my payoff is scheduled for 3 years and all my debt (including trustees fees) will be paid 100% at that time. They don't like to go under 3 in Missouri. I'm not worried about the payment going up because that will just get me out of the bankruptcy sooner. My concern is which is easier, to go through the hassle of selling while in bankruptcy or just renting for the house payment. I also have the option of staying with my son till the bankruptcy is over and sell the house then too but he has a 1 bedroom apt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling my house during chapter 7 [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if I can sell my house during a chapter 7 or if I have to wait until it's finalized. I am already 3 months behind on my payments and just filed 3 weeks ago. I also got a letter from a lawyers office saying that there was a creditors exam that I did not show up for and that there is a...

Selling home with chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and want to sell our home.. after we sell our home and payoff our mortgage we will home proceeds left.. but not enough to pay our entire Chapter 13 debt off... what happens to the proceeds from the sale and do they have to be applied to the plan? We will...

Selling a house under a chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

My husband recently filed a chapter 13 in Ohio. Are we able to sell our house?

View more questions Search