Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosey3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Dashund should I put dog to sleep.
    Hello everyone:
    I'm trying to make a decision is to put my 11 year old dachshund to sleep. She has many medical problems. The main one at the moment her frequent seizures. I took her to the vet and she gave me meds for her to make her comfortable. The vet feels with her current heart, weight loss that is not worth spending another $400 dollars to find out what is going on. Her blood work came out good. But is truly sad to see the current weight loss and when she has her seizure she flips around and has problem breathing and pees and poos on herself Should I put her to sleep?:confused: :(

Any comments would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 04:36 AM
    That is a very difficult decision. With a Dachshund, you could have hoped for more than 11 years, but it sounds like she has too many problems. It may be the best thing.
    vball43 Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Jul 10, 2007, 05:37 AM
    A dog who is about 77 in dog years and in a lot of pain(Im assuming) I would think to put him asleep
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I would go by her quality of life. If she is in pain and misery most of the time. I would put my dear friend to sleep. You know that she would not want you to suffer. I would be with her till the end. It will release her and you as well. Seeing something you love suffer,is so hard. My heart goes out to both of you. Btw I believe in life after death even for animals.
    Little Mac Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 01:42 PM
    I just recently had to do the same for my 12 yr old dachshund... he had Cushings Disease. We spent over $1500 for the vet to tell us what we already knew by reading up on the disease on the internet. When you see that your pet has trouble getting up or refuses to eat and it's not something simple then you got to think that you had a great 11 yrs with her and it's her time. It will be tuff but you'll realize that you did the right thing if there is no getting better for her.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 10, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Just do a Google search for Dog's Prayer. It will give you advice and comfort. Us "critter people" know how you feel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where does your dog sleep? [ 7 Answers ]

(Sorry if Im getting annoying with all my questions) However... Just wondering where the dog owners on this site let their dogs sleep during the night time? I can't make up my mind where my 4 month old jack russell cross chihuaha puppy should sleep! Lol Its either by herself in the living...

Need space and sleep away from my dog [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old puppy, jack russell cross chihuaha. For the last 5 weeks, she's been sleeping in my bed with me. Now Im finding it increasingly difficult, because I never get any time alone to myself, Im the type of person who NEEDS personal space sometimes. Im getting angry and moody...

How Do I Put My 3 Year Old to Sleep When its Bed Time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I am Having Problems With My Three Year Old Daugter. She has always had Problems Sleeping... Which She Does Not Like To Sleep! But Since My twins were Born its Gotten Worse Then EVER!! I am trying to Break the Bad Habit , So my Twins won't fall in the same Trap! Please Help!! ...

Dog urinating in her sleep [ 2 Answers ]

Lately our dog has been urinating in her sleep. She is a very well trained 5 year old, and this seems to be a new problem. What could be causing her to do this?

MY dog won't sleep! [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 18 month old dog. The past few weeks he has decided he doesn't want to sleep through the night. We are staying at the in-laws at the moment and so he has been sleeping in the bedroom in his own bed. For some reason now he won't sleep through the night and he either wants to get on the bed...

View more questions Search