Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geniabelle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Air Handler not coming on.
    Our air Handler is not coming on. The unit outside is running and the programmable thermostat is calling for cool air, but the air handler under the house is not coming on. I've checked the breakers and they are on. I've shut off the unit and waited then turned it on to see if it would come on. No luck. I even switched the unit to fan ON. But it still wouldn't come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm down south and it's HOT... :confused:

Thanks,
    Tonia
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Looks like you probably have a defective blower motor or the relay that operates the blower. You will need to get to the unit and check it out. Usually if the motor is bad it will be hot to the touch. To check a relay you will need a meter. You might also change the air filter while you are at it.

Jul 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I turned the unit off and left the fan in ON mode. After 45 minutes the blower came on. So I switched the unit to cool, and it stated working. Is there a possibility that the system is freezing up?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Yes, if the unit freezes up you will not get any or very little air flow. Since the air handler is under the house you will have to remove the access panel and inspect the blower and coil when this is happening to be sure what the problem is. When a motor is failing (going bad) sometimes they will get hot and quit working, after they cool they will start working sometimes, Mike
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
    It could also be that the motor cooled down and it reset the internal overload also.

Jul 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
    The air's been working OK since I shut it off (About 4 hours) but it doesn't seem to be cooling fast. It's only dropped 4 degrees in 4 hours. Thanks for you help. We've called someone to come check it out. One thing I don't like to be without... cool air... esp. down south. Thanks for your help.

Tonia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler doesn't start [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning unit outside will be running, but the air handler in the garage will not start. I have to turn off the thermostat and turn it back on to get the handler to start. Is there a switch or valve on the handler that can be replaced? It is a Janitrol

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump. When the air conditioner comes on it sounds normal then after a few seconds I hear like a swooshing noise coming from the air handler in the attic. It makes the noise then stops then few seconds later does it again.and keeps doing that every time.We had to have freon put in the...

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

Our home inspection for the sale of our home specifies that "there is a small amount of growth starting on the paper located on the motor. Seller shall clean the paper and treat the unit with an anti microbial agent." Please tell me how to get into the air handler, and with what anti microbial...

View more questions Search