Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkspero Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
    What can cause asphalt shingles to prematurely lose aggregate?
    I have a house built new in NJ in 1988. Roof is Tamko Heritage multilayer asphalt shingles. I believe that the warranty is 50 yrs. Shingles are over a plywood deck over an attic. Vents in each gable end, plus 2, 10-12" square roof vents. There also is an attic fan set to turn on when the attic temperature exceeds 85 degrees.

My problem is that the shingles along the ridge and some of the shingles near the ridge are losing their aggregate. Some near the east end of the ridge are just about completely stripped of aggregate. Initially I thought that it was staining (like mildew) because the underlying color is black. But then I noticed that the downspouts were depositing large amounts of shingle aggregate at their bases after a heavy rain. I then inspected using binoculars and it's clear that the black color is due to missing aggregate.

Otherwise the roof looks normal. Shingles are flat, not curled. All of the tabs are intact. From what I can see of the plywood from inside my attic, it looks flat, normally colored, and securely attached to the roof rafters. At present there are no leaks.

New Jersey is not an extreme weather area. No high-wind hurricanes (we get the rain at the tail end). Rare tornadoes (none that affected my house). Moderate temperatures compared to the South. The roof does not get walked on. In particular, not the ridge. So the roof has experienced a relatively mild environment.

The only thing I can think of is that we sometimes see birds sitting on our roof ridge. So their deposits could be having an effect. But that happens to our neighbor's houses and their roofs are OK. And I can't believe that shingles would not be designed to tolerate occasional bird droppings.

What do you think could be causing this? What is the best way to respond to the situation? I'm worried both about leaks and that the roof is an eyesore.

Since the roof should still be well under warranty, I don't want to just call a contractor and have him replace the roof at my expense. I have sent an email to Tamko informing them of the issue and asking for their recommendation on what I should do. But if past experience with other companies is any indication, I do not expect a quick response to a potential warranty claim. I do not know who installed the roof, as the house was built by a general contractor who handled all of the subcontracting.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Still Sounds To Me Like Its Still Getting Hot At The Ridge, Which You Can Install Ridge Vents, Most New Homes Have These Installed Along With Gable Vents And Sofet Vents. Start With Ridge Vents First.

Jul 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    Still Sounds To Me Like Its Still Gettin Hot At The Ridge, Which You Can Install Ridge Vents, Most New Homes Have These Installed Along With Gable Vents And Sofet Vents. Start With Ridge Vents First.

Thanks for the input. I suspect that we will install a ridge vent either way. Alone as a repair or as part of a re-roof. I can see how the ridge would get no cooling from the current gable and roof vents and the attic fan.

I'm just skeptical about my house being the only one when the others in my development aren't showing the symptom. And the spots elsewhere on the roof near the ridge (near meaning within about 5-10 feet from the ridge) should be getting adequate ventilation.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 8, 2007, 03:45 PM
    The Other Houses May Not Of Been Built By The Same Contractor, Or The Same Roofer, Did They Use Black Paper Under The Roof?

Jul 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    The Other Houses May Not Of Been Built By The Same Contractor, Or The Same Roofer, Did They Use Black Paper Under The Roof?
    They were all built by the same general contractor and use the same shingles (we all got a bundle or 2 to keep as spares). I don't know if they used the same roofing contractor or if they used black paper. The houses were built over about a 6-7 year period with mine being in the last group. Overall the house is of very high quality and I suspect that if black paper was recommended, then they used it. None of the older houses have needed re-roofing, so I have nothing to judge against.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
    I have yet to see composite roofing last as long as the manufacturer warrants. Premature deterioration seems to be common (at least here in Southern California... lots of sun). You are probably looking at roofing material, on your home, that was manufactured 20 years ago. It may be time to replace it.

Jul 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstar4u
    I have yet to see composite roofing last as long as the manufacturer warrants. Premature deterioration seems to be common (at least here in Southern California... lots of sun). You are probably looking at roofing material, on your home, that was manufactured 20 years ago. It may be time to replace it.
    I hope not, but maybe so. I received a return email from Tamko today asking me to call their 800 number to discuss the situation. Maybe they will be of some help. Less than 20 years on 50 year shingles seems like pretty short service. Particularly in a mid-northern latitude like NJ. I'll report back after I speak with them. Probably not until Thursday, though.

Thanks for the response.
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Jul 14, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkspero
    I have a house built new in NJ in 1988. Roof is Tamko Heritage multilayer asphalt shingles. I believe that the warranty is 50 yrs. Shingles are over a plywood deck over an attic. Vents in each gable end, plus 2, 10-12" square roof vents. There also is an attic fan set to turn on when the attic temperature exceeds 85 degrees.

My problem is that the shingles along the ridge and some of the shingles near the ridge are losing their aggregate. Some near the east end of the ridge are just about completely stripped of aggregate. Initially I thought that it was staining (like mildew) because the underlying color is black. But then I noticed that the downspouts were depositing large amounts of shingle aggregate at their bases after a heavy rain. I then inspected using binoculars and it's clear that the black color is due to missing aggregate.

Otherwise the roof looks normal. Shingles are flat, not curled. All of the tabs are intact. From what I can see of the plywood from inside my attic, it looks flat, normally colored, and securely attached to the roof rafters. At present there are no leaks.

New Jersey is not an extreme weather area. No high-wind hurricanes (we get the rain at the tail end). Rare tornadoes (none that affected my house). Moderate temperatures compared to the South. The roof does not get walked on. In particular, not the ridge. So the roof has experienced a relatively mild environment.

The only thing I can think of is that we sometimes see birds sitting on our roof ridge. So their deposits could be having an effect. But that happens to our neighbor's houses and their roofs are ok. And I can't believe that shingles would not be designed to tolerate ocassional bird droppings.

What do you think could be causing this? What is the best way to respond to the situation? I'm worried both about leaks and that the roof is an eyesore.

Since the roof should still be well under warranty, I don't want to just call a contractor and have him replace the roof at my expense. I have sent an email to Tamko informing them of the issue and asking for their recommendation on what I should do. But if past experience with other companies is any indication, I do not expect a quick response to a potential warranty claim. I do not know who installed the roof, as the house was built by a general contractor who handled all of the subcontracting.
    You could have a sub quality product. If the roofer provided a warranty of any length of time it should be his responsibility to proved for repairs of sub quality material or installation. Your warranty will replace the shingles and in some case the labor to place them, if the manufacturer is at fault. This may provide for the labor costs if the Roofer did not include it in his warranty. However, this may not necessarily be the case. If the manufacture determines the shingles were not installed by a certified installer you may be out of luck, check for certification of the installer from the manufacturer for the product you need to install. Keep all recepts and warranty information.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
    You will probley get the same answer from tamco as the rest of us {there was inadequate ventalation} that's allwe hear from the shingle co's. Here in tenn. I have seen roof shingles not even 2or3 years old cruled, the gravel gone and i already put our answers we get. And there would be soffit vents, with under roof vent trays,ridge vents ,gable vents. For a few years the shingle co's. Had contractors to stop using black paper, till they done some testing because that was the cause . A few years later came back and said, that was not the cause ,start using the black paper again. It ends up we don't stand a chance:"" p.s. you may have gotten a bad batch of shingles. Good luck

Sep 5, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkspero

The only thing I can think of is that we sometimes see birds sitting on our roof ridge. So their deposits could be having an effect. But that happens to our neighbor's houses and their roofs are ok. And I can't believe that shingles would not be designed to tolerate ocassional bird droppings.

I received a kit from Tamko to return a shingle from the roof to them for inspection. My problem is that I can't interest a roofer to come to my house for such a small job. The only one who offered wanted $300, and Tamko will only reimburse $100. I'm not comfortable doing it myself.

Eventually I'll get them the shingle and we'll see what they say. I have gable end vents, roof vents, and a thermostatically controlled attic vent fan that draws a great deal of air through those vents and out of the attic whenever the temperature inside gets above about 85 degrees. The attic is unfinished and there is nothing blocking the underside of any of the roof sheathing. I'm not sure what more they could expect. We'll see.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 09:45 PM
    I agree with all that has answered you on this problem. Glavine has agood point about the ridge vent, we here in tnn. Have been using it for a few years and have had really good luck with them. Bkspero - Keep on them {tamko} that will be the only way you will get any thing :"" Good Luck Let me know how you come out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aggregate planned expenditure and real GDP [ 3 Answers ]

I learned in economics that the main reason why Aggreggate planned expenditure (APE) and real GDP are not always equal is because of inventories. This is entirely understandable. However, HOW they are related is a bit confusing. If APE exceeds real GDP, then they sell more than they produce. ...

Shingles [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been miserable for 3 weeks. For 5 days I had unbearable pain and thought I had the flu. I took a lot of ibuprophen for the pain and slept for 3 days pretty much non stop. Then I went to work for two days and a small rash appeared on my back. I thought it was wearing a new pair of...

Emery aggregate [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me exactly what "Emery" really is and wherabouts it fits on the Mohs scale of hardness?:confused:

Does the color of asphalt shingles fade overtime? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased our first home 4 years ago and it was newly built. I noticed the other day that the shingles seem to be slightly lighter than when we first moved in. Do they normally fade over time? You can't really tell that much of a difference if you are looking at them close up, its...

View more questions Search