Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrcheer2007 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
    How do I quit
    OK so I work at this privatley owned business!! It is an answering service for funeral homes all over the country!! I was a cheerleader threw high school and it is my asst coaches parents business!! So I have always been close with them because I cheered with my ast coach freshman and eighth grade year on varsity! OK so I love the job but I hate the atmosphere!! It is un professional! I do not get paid will for being bilingual! I get 750 45 hours aweek which I mean it gets the bills paid but it sucks!! I do not no.. I was offered a job paying 13.50 an hour ! Which is a big difference!! But I have nown my boss for 5 years and the company is hurting employe wise and I do not just want to quit on her because they would be way short handded but I am not happy! HELP
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
    You have to go where it is better for you. The thing is, you have known the family a long time feel beholden to them I guess.

There is no way you should stay in a dead end job, move on and up with more money and better atmosphere. They will get someone else to fill your shoes.
    whisperingwind06 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Its always best to be truthful especially with your employer. You've known this person for 5 years if they are truly your friend they will understand your reasons for leaving. Give them two weeks notice chances are they will find someone, $7.50/hr is quite high, just make sure when they find your replacement you don't get jealous :)

Congratulations, should you choose to go for the $13.50/hr.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 26, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Go to your boss and let them know you've been offered an opportunity making quite a bit more money and explain that this new job offers new possibilities you feel its time to explore. Formally give a 2 week notice so they have time to replace you, and thank them for everything they've done for you in the past.

Congrats - I hope it works out for you.
    Hannah Senesh Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Jul 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rrcheer2007
    ok so i work at this privatley owned business!!! it is an answering service for funeral homes all over the country!!! i was a cheerleader threw high school and it is my asst coaches parents business!!! so i have always been close with them beacuse i cheered with my ast coach freshman and eighth grade year on varsity! ok so i love the job but i hate the atmosphere!!! it is un professional! i do not get paid will for being bilingual! i get 750 45 hours aweek which i mean it gets the bills paid but it sucks!!!! i do not no.. i was offered a job paying 13.50 an hour ! which is a big difference!!!! but i have nown my boss for 5 years and the company is hurting employe wise and i do not just want to quit on her beacuse they would be way short handded but i am not happy!! HELP
    Expand your employment opportunities by going to college.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Just my two cents but just because a job is higher paying does not actually make it the better job. Just look at all your options and decide what is best for you personally. Good luck.

Joe
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Just my two cents but just because a job is higher paying does not actually make it the better job. Just look at all your options and decide what is best for you personally. Good luck.

Joe
    Any job that only pays 7.50 an hour is not really a great job. It is worth the risk in taking a chance with a higher paying job.
    No one knows if they will be happier with a different job until they start and then give it time.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:22 AM
    Snakebite, A 7.50 job, somebody might enjoy better then their 20 dollar job. It depends on the person. If somebody is happy with what they are doing then 7.50 is good for them. Money does not buy happyness.

Joe
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Aug 21, 2007, 02:39 AM
    In my experience it's always best to tell the truth and to share your feelings (diplomatically) with those people around you that it might effect. I would talk sincerely to your employers, thank them for the great years of employment you've enjoyed and explain to them about how you feel about things... then see what happens. Don't plan too far ahead, it's bad for the soul.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 05:53 AM
    I will add this, give them a two week notice, tell them how much you hate leaving but that you have to advance your opportunities. This gives them plentyof time to hire someone else and they may offer you more money to stay.
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Snakebite, A 7.50 job, somebody might enjoy better then their 20 dollar job. It depends on the person. If somebody is happy with what they are doing then 7.50 is good for them. Money does not buy happyness.

Joe
    7.50 an hour doesn't pay the bills in the adult world. If you are a kid living home with mom and dad, then you can work for less...

Money is essential for paying bills and survival. Without the proper income, life can be very hard. My rent is 750.00 a month, car is 275.00, food, gas, electric, cable TV, auto repairs and other expenses monthly.

If I made only 7.50 an hour, I would be homeless. Money does not buy happiness but without it, most people would be miserable.

If I had the choice of having money or not having money, I would pick to "have money." Financial independence is the key to having a good life...
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
    If you are bilingual, you can make a whole heck of a lot more than 7.50 an hour even without a college degree... I say move on if it is in your best interest... I agree with Snake Bite, it would be very hard to live off that much... at least happily...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Good for you for sticking with an answering service for 5 years. Our operators usually burn out at 3. I really hate to get a notice from a long term employee, but at the same time am happy that they are moving on and doing better for themselves.

If they are truly friends, they will be sad that you are leaving, but happy that you have a better opportunity.

Give two weeks notice and enjoy your new job.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 21, 2007, 11:37 AM
    To add to all the sage advice, you should prepare a very professional letter of resignation.

Something like this:

Dear [funeral director friend];

After careful consideration and great pain, I have decided to accept a position with [company]. I have enjoyed working here over the past five years, and truly believe that you welcomed me as a member of your family. While I believe that it will be impossible to find the same atmosphere that I have experienced working here, it is time for me to take my career in a new direction. To allow time for you to find a suitable replacement, I am postponing beginning new employment with [company] until September 4, 2007 (of course check with the new company to see if they can wait that long, if not, put the date that is the latest you can start.) My resignation will therefore be effective on August 31, 2007.

Thank you for the opportunities you provided me.

Best regards,

rrcheer2007

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to quit [ 7 Answers ]

I want to quit school I have been thinking about it for like 9 months I am 16 and 3 months.I live with my boyfriend and my parents really haven't been there for me in my childhood and have been through drug problems.I basically grew up to fast.but in my family that's normal believe me I've been...

Notice to quit? [ 7 Answers ]

If a landlord serves you a notice to quit, is this considered a breach of the contract (lease)? :confused:

Quit working all together [ 1 Answers ]

Central heat and air. Heat is gas. House got really warm and I switched from heater to a/c. I turned it off at the end of the night and the next morning it was really cold so I tried to turn the heater on and nothing at all happens. I tried to turn AC on and nothing happened. I looked for a...

I quit! [ 2 Answers ]

OK I finally dropped-out of high school.I talked to my mom about it and of course she was all like crying but now she understands my point of view.she wants me to get my ged and I want to.but why do you have to be out of school for 3 months to do this?does anyone know where I can get good ged...

View more questions Search