Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tulskone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Briggs & Stratton 25 HP Intek Engine "Racing"
    My 25 HP Intek Twin Model 445777 Type 0134 engine with 47 hours, clean gas, oil and filters, started "racing," after one hour of mowing this week, blowing smoke. I've mowed three times this season; over one hour each with no problem. Choke now runs in "reverse," meaning that I have to push it all the way open to slow down engine, throttle handle appears not to slow or speed up engine. Engine "racing" at about twice normal RPM. Carburetor appears to be OK; throttle and choke plates move freely; no apparent dirt or blockage, no missing linkage. If I put my hand over the air intake to the carburetor, it slows down engine. When I remove my hand, it resumes "racing." Tractor is John Deere L2548. Could it be the Governor and how would I test? Any other ideas? Thanks.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Yes it could be the governor, check and see that you are not missing and governor springs, and start the engine, get ahold of the governor rod and see if you can manually move it. Does this make the rpms lower? If so , you have a spring or linkage problem. If not your governor is "STUCK" open. If it only has 47 hours, chances are you are still under warranty, and if you are not authorized to be doing such repairs, you may void your warranty. Good luck.
    Tulskone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    YES IT COULD BE THE GOVERNOR, CHECK AND SEE THAT YOU ARE NOT MISSING AND GOVERNOR SPRINGS, AND START THE ENGINE, GET AHOLD OF THE GOVERNOR ROD AND SEE IF YOU CAN MANUALLY MOVE IT. DOES THIS MAKE THE RPMs LOWER? IF SO , YOU HAVE A SPRING OR LINKAGE PROBLEM. IF NOT YOUR GOVERNOR IS "STUCK" OPEN. IF IT ONLY HAS 47 HOURS, CHANCES ARE YOU ARE STILL UNDER WARRANTY, AND IF YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE DOING SUCH REPAIRS, YOU MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY. GOOD LUCK.
    10 out of 10 Mowerman. One of the pins holding the flyweights sheared off and the flyweights dropped into the oil pan. Replaced governor and flyweights and we're now running like a charm. I still don't understand what would have caused this problem. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Automatic Transmission "2" & "3" [ 9 Answers ]

2002 Ford Explorer. If I put it in "3" instead of Drive, it's in 3rd even from startup. Is this normal? I was thinking that if I have it in 3rd, then 3rd would be the maximum... that is, that it would start in 1, then go to 2 and 3 but not higher. Thanks!

15.5 briggs & Stratton "Craftsman Riding mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 42" Riding mower that's approx 5-7 years old. It runs great when it runs, but when I try to start it up is when I run into trouble. Ive replaced the battery... brushes in the starter... fuel filter... cleaned all the battery connections including the ground on the frame. It...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

View more questions Search