Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lickitysplitz Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Pregnancy test
    How soon after you think you're pregnant can you take a pregnancy test?
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 06:20 PM
    The soonest you can take an hpt is 5 days before your expected period. HOwever, these tests are less accurate then should you wait a week after your period is missed. These tests give you a positive or negative result based on how much hcg is found in your urine. Since every woman and every pregnancy is different, there is a varying difference in time that is takes for it to build up enough to register on a hpt test. If you don't wait long enough and there fore don't have enough hcg built up, you will get a negative result, though you may be pregnant. You can take a qualatative blood test at your local hospital as early as 10 days before your expected period, however(while this test is more accurate then an hpt) the same is true for this test. It only gives a neg/pos reading and if you don't have enough hcg built up, it won't read positive, even if you are pregnant. Typically I suggest that you wait until you miss your period to test. In fact, I suggest you wait a week after you miss your period to take a test, as its not uncommon for women to be late, or completely miss a period now and then.

Jun 27, 2007, 06:25 PM
    I am approx. 2 weeks behind on my period, but this is common for me, I just want to be as accurate as possible without having to see a doctor so my parents don't find out. I'm 17, and if needed will get an abortion. So I would like to know as soon as I can if I am pregnant or not.
    Thank you
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Two weeks late, you can go get a test. Perhaps you are, perhaps you aren't. No way to know till you test. Since you are irregular, I would suggest you get a blood test done. More accurate, and not much more expensive. (when I got one, it was only 11 dollars)I hope that you have considered the consequences of both sides(abortion, or no abortion) before you act, if you are pregnant. It's a heavy decision, not to be taken lightly.just some advice

Jun 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Yea I know, both me and my boyfriend talked about everything before we decided to have sex. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Good luck. (if you aren't on because of some sort yet, you should get on it asap.)

Jun 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buggage
    (if you aren't on bc of some sort yet, you should get on it asap.)
    I didn't understand...
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Sorry. I was talking about birth control.

Jun 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Oh I see, well always use a condomm and I heard that was enough.
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Jun 28, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Condoms aren't enough all of the time. They can break soemtimes. I had it happen when I was having sex before. You need to be on the pill or if you don't want any type of horomonal BC then try getting some type of spermicide to go along with the condom like Nonoxynyl 9. Also make sure that the spermicide if water-based not oil-based as it could break down the condom and cause it to tear. About the abortion... I know that it's your decision, but please consider adoption for the baby. It didn't ask for this, and doesn't have a voice. Please reconsider if you are pregnant. Thanks and good-luck to you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Likity, NO form of birth control is 100% effective. Not the pill, not a condom, nothing.

What may work best would be to get on the pill AND use a condom. That way you have double the protection.

You see condoms are not foolproof, some have holes, albeit tiny and microscopic, but they are there.

Jun 28, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I know most of you are pro life, and I'm sorry, but I am pro choice. I don't believe getting an abortion is killing a baby since it's not a baby yet. And I pretty sure I'm not pregnant, I just make myself paraniod, but even if I was, having a babby is not an option for me.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Condoms are better then nothing. But they aren't 100%. No form of birth control is. There is always a margin of error. A condom can rip, it can have a tiny hole, it can spill some of the sperm out if the erection is lost before pulling out, etc. if you only use condoms, it's a good idea to use ones with spermacide as well, or the pill, etc. a secondary form of because is always wise. But as I said, using condoms is better then nothing, so I am glad you are using them.

Jun 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
    So far it's been all we need, and I got my period, so I'm not pregnant, but I think I should consider going on the pill. It keeps coming up a lot, and I really do want to be safe.
    Thank you all!
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Just remember that "so far" is just that. " so far" :0) sometimes that is all you need, as it was in my parents case.(however spermacide foam was used in addition) but sometimes it isn't enough. You just have to ask yourself if you would rather take extra steps and strengthen your defense, or just stick with the one. I am glad that you want to be safe, and are considering your options.that shows maturity on your part. Good luck hun.

Jun 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Yea, well it'll be a while before we have sex again, concifering, he is leaving for nearly a month. How do you get birth control pills? I don't want to go to my family doctor in case my parents find out...
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2007, 06:48 PM
    You can go to a local planned parenthood. They are completely confidential, and typically cheaper. I used to be able to get BC for 9 dollars a pack.. Also, (and I am pro-life as well), but please remember that abortions are dangerous and should not be considered a form of birth control. I also suggest getting on the pill on top of using the condom. Someday later in life, you may want children, and abortions can a hinder that chance. Good luck,
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 30, 2007, 09:52 PM
    If you live in the states I think your covered even if you go to your family dr. I think that he's bound in confidentiality laws. The only thing that you might have to worry about is the paper the insurance company will send home...

Jul 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Oh I see. Okay, well thanks for all your advise! And yes we were planning on using the pill in addition to the condom, and we even discused him pulling out, even while he was wearing a condom. So once again, thank you :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Good luck hun

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy test [ 1 Answers ]

It my doctor did a pregnancy test on me and it came out negative, could it be wrong.. cause I'm still feeling bad:confused:

Clearblue pregnancy test [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had a problem with disppearing positives with clearblue? I just took one and it was definitely positive for about 3 to 4 minutes from the start. I have had this happen to me more than once this time while testing and have no more money for tests. I had one store brand + type give me a...

Pregnancy test says no, but... [ 6 Answers ]

I have read a lot of things on pregnancy and how to tell if you are or not but I still am stuck. I have taken a pregnancy test and it says that I am not pregnant, I know that they are not to accurate when it comes to some people so I don't know if I should go to the DR. to get one or not. Ever...

Should I do a pregnancy test yet ? [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I have just started trying for a baby so I don't want to get my hopes to high. But my period is three days late. I have had more vaginal discharge than usual (non itchy etc) I have been having some quite bad lower abdominal cramps, very similar to menstrual cramps. My breasts are...

View more questions Search