Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewHomeOwner4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea?
    Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack.
    The reasons he wants to do this are that the crack runs quite high and is hard to get to (just below the floor rafters), and he thinks that vibration by cutting that high may cause cracks further up the line.
    I'm uneasy because his recommendation essentially lowers the code-compliance (no vent, drum v. p-trap), and also introduces a whole bunch more pipes into that basement area.
    Please advize!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Some plumbers would frown on the advice I'm about to give you. First off a drum trap and the extra piping shouldn't even be considered.
    The correct repair, of course, would be to tear out the old cast iron and convert to PVC. However, I like giving options, if the crack isn't too big why not fill it with JB Weld or Fast Steel, a putty that hardens into metal. You could do this yourself and save the cost of a plumbing company. Sound like a plan? Tom
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jun 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
    For creative repair options, how about one of these?

(in my experience, JB Weld would do this trick, but I'm not even a plumber's apprentice, so... )

1) Fernco or other neoprene/rubber sleeves. Would it be possible to take a no-hub rubber connector, slit the rubber, install it with the slit opposite the crack and tighten it up?

2) Sleeve the pipe internally. You can't do this yourself, but it could be done quickly. Google around and/or check YouTube for trenchless drain repair. In short, an internal sleeve of special material (kevlar/fiberglass?) is epoxied to the *inside* of the pipe by sliding it in wrapped around a long, skinny balloon. The balloon is inflated, which presses the patch against the inside of the pipe. Search on "cast iron pipe" on YouTube to see some pretty impressive videos.

None of this seems like a good idea if you don't know why the pipes cracked, and are sure that the cracks won't grow. Check the supports for the pipe, cast iron is heavy and needs a lot of support.

Adding a drum trap does seem like a bad idea.

~aaron
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
    In his #1 solution, ( a very good suggestion, Thanks Arron) scirocco suggested a saddle clamp,(see image) while this would work on a short crack a long one needs to be filled and patched or the pipe removed and replaced.

His #2 solution would also work although I'm not too sure of the expense.
    Both of his suggestions beat out the plumber you paid to give advice.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drum trap question [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain has been running more and more slowly over the past few months. We tried chemicals and snaking it, to no avail. I finally called a plumber last week. He opened the crawlspace and pointed out the drum trap, and said that it was likely a clog in the drum trap. He said...

Drum trap problem [ 2 Answers ]

My bathtub drain is running very, very slowly. Several years ago I had this same problem and hired a plumber. He cleaned out the drum trap and replaced the cover and charged me lots of money. I'm sure I could do this my little old self if I could only get the cover off! Any sugguestions? The...

Drum trap to P trap? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drum trap attached to the drain beneath my bath tub. It's easy to get to in the basement. Never had any problems with it, but the cap is really corroded - it has about a quarter inch of green gunk all over it. I'm going to be replacing the waste line from the tub soon, so I was wondering...

Drum Trap Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drum trap below the bathtub that's leaking. I have complete access to it in the basement. It looks like the bottom of the trap, where you would crank on it with a wrench, is corroded and that's where the water is leaking from. Does any place sell replacement parts for these or am I stuck...

Drum Trap Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, For the second time in a year, our bathtub drainage has become very slow. After the first incident, the plumbers snaked the line, which helped. Now, about a year later, the same problem persists, and a new plumber has told us we have a drum trap that needs to be replaced with a P trap. ...

View more questions Search