Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skwathen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Cost effective
    Hello, Is it more cost effective to keep the air conditioner thermastat set at 79 all the time or to turn it up to 81 during the day while at work and then turning it back to 79 when you get home late afternoon? It seems to take a long time to bring the temp back to 79 and seem to use more energy. True or false??
    Thanks, Sandy
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
    I would keep it at 79.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Either way your going to pay for it, whether you let it cycle all day or run for a couple of hours at night it's going to be pretty close to the same cost. I would advise leaving it set at 79, this way it is half way comfortable when you get home.
    Vista Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skwathen
    Hello, Is it more cost effective to keep the air conditioner thermastat set at 79 all the time or to turn it up to 81 during the day while at work and then turning it back to 79 when you get home late afternoon? It seems to take a long time to bring the temp back to 79 and seem to use more energy. True or false???
    Thanks, Sandy
    For an 8 hour absence I would turn it down, not off. There is no such thing as free energy. Depending on how much the unit will need to recover if turned off will determine the cost.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2007, 08:40 AM
    I've tried this before. For me, leaving the tstat on a cooler temperature during the day, instead of changing it, costs a little less for me (I left mine at 76, in an apartment though). It may be different for you.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 21, 2007, 09:16 AM
    I believe that the laws of heat transfer would indicate that the greater the difference between the inside and outside temperature, the greater the amount of heat tranferred over a given period. That is why the utility companies state that for every degree higher that you set the thermostat, your electric bill may be 3%? Lower. If the setting is a bit higher during the 8 hours of the heat of the day, and lowered upon your return, you should save money.
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2007, 09:53 AM
    It all depends on how long it runs. Having it cooler in the day and cycle more often may have it run less than if you have it warm in the day, and then try to cool it down in one shot. That one shot may take a longer time to cool down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finance / cost of equity and weighted average cost of capital [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about calculating the after-tax cost of new debt and common equity. Calculate the cost of equity and calculate weighted cost of capital. I do not understand this a bit. The following tabulation gives earnings per share figures for the Foust Company during the preceding 10 years. The...

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Best cost effective place to retire? [ 2 Answers ]

This probably was done before but here it goes. Where are some of the best but cost effective place to retire and why? I hope to retire before age 50 but need to pick the right place to do so. Recommendations?

View more questions Search