Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angshuman007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 01:42 AM
    PC starting mystery
    I have a windows xp professional sp 2 with 223 MB RAM and 100 GB Hard Drive, 2 hard drives, one of 80 GB and the other of 20 GB. The problem is that whenever I start the PC after the login screen comes, I log on to my account.(I have only one user account in my pc) Instead of desktop, a black screen comes and I have to work using Ctrl+Alt+Del. If desktop comes for a moment, it flashes and the screen becomes black again.

Thank You,
    Angshuman007
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Try starting in safe mode with a minimal/default set of drivers. My first point of investigation would be the display adapter. However if you have recently changed the monitor set up of your computer you might find that XP lacks the driver set to allow your GFX card to interact with your monitor correctly.
    Angshuman007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 09:36 AM
    How do I start the PC in safe mode? Also, I haven't changed anything
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Usually to start in 'safe mode' you should hold down the F8 key at boot, this should put you into the windows boot menu where you will be able to select "safe mode"

I would also query if your monitor is functioning correctly. Consult the manual that came with your monitor to check that all is well.
    nasigoreng Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Press F8 several times at boot, then select safe mode.
    In safe mode, reinstall / repair your display driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mystery movie! [ 1 Answers ]

This will probably be difficult to understand but I will do my best to explain good. There was a movie I used to watch when I was little. Its animated and I think it takes place on a mountain or in the winter cause there is snow... so there's a race going on, and the only character I remember is a...

Lights out, quite a mystery. What could it be? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I have a rather mysterious problem. I live in a condo building. For a while I had noticed my bedroom & bathroom lights occasionally flicker a little bit, but I didn't think much of it. Yesterday morning my lights went completely out in the bedroom and bathroom, as well as the refrigerator...

An Intruiging Mystery [ 5 Answers ]

My dorm room, as of late has been a bit crowded with some six legged visitors. I did not manage to snag a picture, but after thoroughly searching the internet, I am still in the dark as to the name of our new friends. They are about 2.5 cm long. It looks as if they have some sort of wing structure,...

Mystery pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have sort of plastic pipe sticking out of the ground next to the back of the house: http://www.bainite.org/images/thingy.jpg It 4" wide and sticks about 6" out of the ground. For visual reference, the black hose next to it is a soaker hose. Does anyone know what this is? We...

Mystery to solve [ 3 Answers ]

The AC unit condensation drip tube runs into 1” black tubing that then disappears into the floor slab. I have always assumed that it connected into the main sewer line. This past winter I replaced all of the under slab cast iron sewer pipe with PVC and found no such connection. Never saw the black...

View more questions Search