Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    histored_11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Female Leader, Anglo-Saxon Era?
    I was told about this girl: her daughters were raped in front of her by a certain group of (obviously) "bad guys" (for a lack of a better term), then led a collective against them, in turn defeating them. She had red hair.
    If anyone knows the name of this woman and the full length story, I would greatly appreciate filling me in on the whole story!? :confused:
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Don't know the story but her name is boadicea/ boudica
    The last one is her proper name but someone (the victorians?) changed it to be more feminine!

Here's a link to get you started

Boadicea -- Queen of the Iceni

I've always liked that statue

Wikipedia has a really comprihensive entry
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 05:12 AM
    It's actually a really interesting story. You may well want to look at the differences in Celtic Law and Roman Law to get a background on the reasons leading up to Boudica's (Boo-Di-ka) fate at the hands of the Romans.

Terry Jones (of monty python fame) recently did a 4 part documentary called Barbarians for BBC2 which was screened there and on UKTVHistory. Very informative.

You may also wish to check military strategy references of the 'battle of wattling/watling street" and search roman military leaders such as Paulinus and Suetonius

Some of the best ancient writings concerning the part of history you are looking at were written by a roman (being that the victors always end up writing the history) Cassius Dio

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Victorian Era Chair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm trying to find out exactly what kind of chairs I have inherited. I was told previously that the estate of my ancestors these came from was late 1850's. They have cast type rollers on the front two legs and are longer and flared on the back two legs. The legs have the corner sections...

Who is this recently elected leader of an International organisation? [ 4 Answers ]

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9443/1co8.th.jpg I really need to know and it's been bugging me all day.

Rejuvenating dinosaur era vegetation [ 1 Answers ]

I have decided for my high school science project, to go to a site where prehistoric dinosaur bones have been found (Hemet California) semi desert area, and retrieve soil sample at the location and depth (same as the bones). Then I will care and cultivate the seed ,roots and other growth...

View more questions Search