Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdseye Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
    20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles
    I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
    You're fine. 1920 watts is 80% of 2400 watts(80% of 20 amps @ 120 volts)If you have something serious, maybe add circuit.
    birdseye Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    You're fine. 1920 watts is 80% of 2400 watts(80% of 20 amps @ 120 volts)If you have something serious, maybe add circuit.
    Thank You, I've had all sorts of answers to this question. I am mainly concerned with not having to change the 15amp receptacles and switches. Birdseye

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum load on 20 amp circuit breaker [ 14 Answers ]

I am aware of certain normal maximums. I guess I'm looking for somebody to tell me that I'm pushing things too far, or not. I want to hook up a portable air conditioner (Sunpentown WA-1220E) which is rated at 950 watts (and, mysteriously, at 9.0 amps) along with an HP 4Si printer, which is rated...

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

Kenmore Stove Trips 50 AMP Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

1 Year old Kenmore Stove, Flat Top keeps tripping my 50 AMP circuit breaker. This stove has worked without problem for 1 year without any problems. What confuses me is that the circuit breaker is tripped whether I use the range, the oven, or both at the same time. Could the breaker be bad? To...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search