Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dloan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Craftsman rider electrical issue
    Hi all

I have a Craftsman riding mower model 917.270923. It will not turn over at all. It has a new battery, and when I turn to the start position, the voltmeter on the dash dips down as if there is a drain (like starting) but on noises, no nothing.

I've checked all obvious connections and fuses, but I do not have a voltmeter...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    acridcola Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 08:07 AM
    If you're sure the battery is good and the connections are tight, it could be a bad starter or solenoid.
    KingsKid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dloan
    Hi all

I have a Craftsman riding mower model 917.270923. It will not turn over at all. It has a new battery, and when I turn to the start position, the voltmeter on the dash dips down as if there is a drain (like starting) but on noises, no nothing.

I've checked all obvious connections and fuses, but I do not have a voltmeter...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Check to see if the fly wheel is froze up.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Try turning the flywheel cover backwards (Counterclockwise) 1/4-1/2 turn and then try starting. I bet this is a briggs engine, correct?

Jun 25, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    Try turning the flywheel cover backwards (Counterclockwise) 1/4-1/2 turn and then try starting. I bet this is a briggs engine, correct?
    Yes, it a Briggs... I believe it's a 20hp twin cyl.
    I haven't tried the flywheel, I'll give it a try tonight. Battery connections are good.

Thanks to all who responded! Any other tips are appreciated!!

Jun 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dloan
    yes, it a Briggs... I believe it's a 20hp twin cyl.
    I haven't tried the flywheel, I'll give it a try tonight. Battery connections are good.

Thanks to all who responded! any other tips are appreciated!!!
    As an update...

It is a Briggs and Stratton 19.5hp twin...

I replaced the solenoid and now I get a clicking sound from the solenoid when I try to start the mower. There's current going through, but the starter is still not turning at all.

Any other thoughts out there?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jun 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
    The batterys are very poor in this equipment, try jump starting it from a 12-Volt source. You are not getting enough poop to the starter, it takes a lot.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Late '80's vintage 18HP, 44" rider. Been running like a champ until recently. Started running very rough a couple of weeks ago. Had to choke all the way to keep in running. Decided to start with new spark plugs to rectify. Now I don't get any spark. Turns over just fine. Amp meter on dash...

18HP 44" Craftsman rider - eating drive belts! [ 6 Answers ]

I just munched my second drive belt last week. :mad: Now my mower is stranded in an acre of growing grass, getting taller by the minute! Before I drop another $30 on a belt, any ideas on adjustment? It seems really loose when the brake/clutch pedal is engaged and I've had to monkey with the...

Strange Electrical Issue [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Wondering if anyone can shed some light (no punn intended) on a very strange electrical problem I am having. I purchased a duplex last summer that was previously owned by my parents. When I first moved in I noticed that on occasion the lights in the kitchen would flicker and even go...

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

View more questions Search