Ask
    bduke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Sharpening saw blades
    How do I sharpen saw blades circular saws
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Don't have much to go on but if you are planning to sharpen with a hand held file, don't do it. Every other tooth faces slightly outward and at a different angle. Also, any tooth slightly longer than the others will try to do most of the cutting and make the blade act duller than ever before. Professional sharpening of a 7.5" blade may cost $7 and a new blade would be about double that. I would encourage you to consider these two options, poorly sharpened blades are dangerous to the operator.
    canadianhotbox Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Unless they are really good blades like a tripal chip blade spend the $8 and buy a new one
    toolman120775 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
    This answer would be targeted to someone who cares about their saw blades, and who has invested some good money in their blades and their work. Think of blades that are $35 and up. No, the blades do not need to be "tripal chip" (canadianhotbox, do you even know what a triple-chip blade is?).

You should really find a good professional saw sharpening service. If you are able to find a good service, your blades will last longer than if you attempted to sharpen them yourself. Therefore you will get longer life and better quality cuts from your original investment.

I would recommend: Sharpening at Burns Tools - Expert Saw Blade Sharpening and Home of the SuperSharp Finish
    For more info.

Jul 7, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman120775
    This answer would be targeted to someone who cares about their saw blades, and who has invested some good money in their blades and their work. Think of blades that are $35 and up. No, the blades do not need to be "tripal chip" (canadianhotbox, do you even know what a triple-chip blade is?).

You should really find a good professional saw sharpening service. If you are able to find a good service, your blades will last longer than if you attempted to sharpen them yourself. Therefore you will get longer life and better quality cuts from your original investment.

I would recommend: Sharpening at Burns Tools - Expert Saw Blade Sharpening and Home of the SuperSharp Finish
    for more info.

Hello there toolman, If I did not know what a triple chip blade was why would I have talked about it? And how would I have ever know about high quality blades like them, if I don't even know what they are? Why they are called triple chip blades is just that they make three cuts as they go through the wood the first tooth is on a slight angle out the next tooth is strait and the third tooth is angled out the other way to the first and a strait tooht will start it all again, that sounds like it . If I am wrong please write and let me know thanks canadianhotbox
    toolman120775 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianhotbox
    Hello there toolman, If I did not know what a triple chip blade was why would I have talked about it? And how would I have ever know about high quality blades like them, if I don't even know what they are? Why they are called triple chip blades is just that they make three cuts as they go through the wood the first tooth is on a slight angle out the next tooth is strait and the third tooth is angled out the other way to the first and a strait tooht will start it all agian, that sounds like it . If I am wrong please write and let me know thanks canadianhotbox
    Hello... Actually a Triple Chip's Center of kerf is cut first. Then flat-top raker cleans out chips & widens the cut. It has nothing to do with '3 cuts' or angles as you mention above. Also, the fact that a blade may be a Triple Chip has no bearing on the quality of the blade. You can find low quality triple chip blades and high quality Alternate Top Bevel (ATB) blades or even Rip blades.

A triple chip blade is rarely used to cut wood. Generally you would use an ATB blade for wood. A triple chip blade is often used for cutting Laminate, MDF, Solid Surface, Aluminum, and occasionally Melamine and Plastics.
    Attached Images

Jul 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Thanks toolman , I used triple chip blades doing laminates and solid surfaceing V. some years ago. So now I know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower sharpening [ 4 Answers ]

I have a very small lawn service but want to keep my blades sharp. It gets expensive having a service company do it. I have a small grinder. What's the best way to sharpen them--in particular, is there a product that can somehow hold the blade and thus insure an even balance/sharpness? I

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Teeth sharpening [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if its possible to get my canine teeth sharpend into points? I haven't got around to asking my dentist yet... Need an answer =]

Sharpening mowers [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to sharpen the blades on a cylender mower.

View more questions Search