Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jun 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Dishwasher makes thermostat temp go up
    Whenever I run the dishwasher, the temperature on the thermostat located on the opposite wall goes higher, even though the actual house temperature doesn't. This causes it to run for a lot longer, making the house colder than it normally would get. The wall feels the same as always (not hotter from the dishwasher). I have not the slightest clue why this happens.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
    My clothes dryer does the same thing to my thermostat. My best suggestion would be to turn the a/c off while the dishwasher is running to avoid an outrageous electric bill :)
    Bullistic1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTyphoon
    Whenever i run the dishwasher, the temperature on the thermostat located on the opposite wall goes higher, even though the actual house temperature doesn't. This causes it to run for a lot longer, making the house colder than it normally would get. The wall feels the same as always (not hotter from the dishwasher). I have not the slightest clue why this happens.
    Are you using a heated dry mode on your dishwasher? Even if your not the heat alone from the hot water maybe going up along the ceiling and to your thermostat. It only takes one degree to keep your thermostat to turn on the A/C. You may need to raise your A/C setting or introduce a fan to circulate more air.

Jun 16, 2007, 12:17 PM
    It may seem like the heat, but it is not. I put two other thermometers there, and they both read the same temp as if it were off, but not the thermostat. One was another thermostat, and one was a mercury one. Weird!!

I doubt it is the ceiling, because the dishwasher is in an area of 7'9" ceiling, while the thermostat is under a 12 foot vaulted ceiling. The heat would not reach there, as the dishwasher is about 6 feet away, separated by a counter and wall.

BTW, the tstat is a RiteTemp C150 or something. Could it be the dishwasher is causing the electrical wire behidn it to heat up or something? This happened with my old tstat as well, and it only seems to affect it when it is plugged in.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2007, 12:19 PM
    I'm not an expert in this type of thing or anything like that, but maybe the wall is absorbing the heat from the dishwasher and that's what's causing the thermostat to go up.

Jun 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I thought of that reason, but I have felt the wall and it always feels normal, just as if the washer were off. Unless the washer could heat up across the counter, then transmit all the way through the two panels of drywall, it doesn't seem that is likely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selecting Thermostat with proper temp. Differential [ 5 Answers ]

Hello - Recently I had Lux digital thermostat replaced. After several attempts with Honeywell tstats -- that were cycling the death out of my furnace -- had contractor install White-Rodgers 1f56-444 mercury-style tstat. After devouring this site, I learned to adjust the heat anticipator to 1.2 A,...

Dishwasher makes dishes smell bad [ 4 Answers ]

I have a kenmore automatic dishwasher and lately, when I remove the dishes, there is a sour kind of smell on them and in the washer itself. Is there any way to clean this? I know in a coffee pot you run a cycle with vinegar and hot water but that won't work with a dishwasher.

Janitrol to Rite Temp thermostat wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I am changing a Janitrol mechanical thermostat to a Rite Temp 8085. And the heat Pump is a Goodman. The wires on my old thermostat are labeled G, Y, E,R,O,W,and C There is no E on the new thermostat. I have hooked the others to the corresponding letters on the new thermostat and left the brown E...

View more questions Search