Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keith_jones Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 11:25 AM
    2nd Floor Shower Trap
    There is no drain cover to my second story bath tub, and I believe there is a toy from the kids down there. No water at all drains over time, it has to be scooped into the toilet. I went downstairs underneath the bathroom and knocked out a section of drywall to get to the shower trap, and was wondering where are my pipes at? Are they above the floor boards? I ran a snake down about 8 feet into the shower drain and that did not work. My landlord and plumber will not call me back so it's up to me do finish this up. Where are my pipes hiding at? I know it's a stupid question, but it should be right there where I took the drywall down.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2007, 12:17 PM
    \

You're mixing apples and oranges. Is it a tub or a shower that's stopped up? Back to you, Tom

Jun 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Well it's a shower. Sorry to confuse you, I didn't know it couldn't be both... lol
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Lots of difference between a bathtub and a shower. First off, purchase a strainer for your shower drain. Thenn rent a power snake and go after the blockage with a auger tip. Unless you plan on replacing the drain pipe you didn't have to open up the ceiling. Good luck, Tom

Jun 15, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Already busted my ceiling up. Here are my shower photos for you to see.
    Attached Images

Jun 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Lots of difference between a bathtub and a shower. First off, purchase a strainer for your shower drain. Thenn rent a power snake and go after the blockage with a auger tip. Unless you plan on replacing the drain pipe you didn't have to open up the ceiling. Good luck, Tom

Since my ceiling is open and I am willing to replace any pipes necessary to, I just want to know by looking at my photos, where is my drain piping? It's right there in the area of the hole in the ceiling, so I'm thinking it's above the subfloor boards on level 2? As you can see I hatched my way through it a little bit to see some metal on the other side. What next...

I have tried using a manual auger-tipped snake and think I pushed it further down to about 8 feet. I know when looking down the drain it curves left, under the tub. I'm guessing this is where my trap is, because I see freestanding water right where the overflow comes in at the side, looking down the drain. I'm just looking for my pipes hiding from me.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Keith,

"Well it's a shower. Sorry to confuse you, I didn't know it couldn't be both...lol"

You're not showing me a shower enclosure. You're showing me a bathtub. Which is cool since this puts us on the same page.
    New game plan! The trap's located directly under the tub waste and overflow. You made you8r hole in the wrong spot. If you do not have a access panel behind the front of the tub, ( we have to have a tub access panel by code in our area), you should cut in a 14 X 14 hole and go in from there. Where did you send your snake down? The tub drain or did you remove the face plate of the tub waste and over flow and go down there?
    One more time! Unless your planing on ripping out your drainage and replacing it you have opened up the wrong area and unslee you went down the tub waste and overflow with your snake you went down the wrong place. Cut in a access panel and you will find your trap and drain lines. Good luck, Tom

Jun 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
    I snaked down not the overflow, but the waste. It was a manual snake with auger tip. The blockage is about 6 feet down estimating from the length of the snake when I pull it out. This access Panel might be behind the vinyl on the wall where the knob is? This can be peeled off with a flatbar and reglued on?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
    If you didn't remove the chrome face plate and go down the tub waste and overfrlow,( Not the drain) you haven't snaked the drain line. We placed the access panel close to the floor directly behind the tubs faucet and drain. Some contractors didn't make a service panel but if there isn't one then make your own. Good luck, Tom

Jun 16, 2007, 03:04 PM
    I rented a power snake auger, called an Electric Eel, from Lowe's for 23 dollars/4hrs. It took less time with this tool to unclog my tub than it did to pick it up. I'm glad you recommended using that, and I am not happy I tore stuff up which was my decision. Thank you for your help and now I am glad to take showers again, and I do have a strainer on it, for now it's a cheap plastic hair catcher. If it were my own place and not an apartment I would install a metal drain strainer. Thanks again, you are awesome! This site would be nothing without people like you, speedball!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

2nd floor Shower leaking down to basement [ 9 Answers ]

The shower stall upstairs is leaking down to our basement. I noticed that the leak runs down along the main drain pipe. Is this a grout problem or something related to the actual drain? The water that runs down on the actual perimeter of the drain pipe. And it's a good amount of water that runs...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

2nd Floor Shower Trap [ 1 Answers ]

I found this message on this forum https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4331&highlight=RUNNING+SHOWER+TRAP I have the same issue I need to trap a 2nd floor shower (floor joists 2x8) so I want to know if I can do this thing called the running "U" trap and how I build one. I want to run...

About testing to identify a leaky shower pan on the 2nd floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of identifying and looking for the possibility to fix a second floor shower leak. This is five-year-old single-family house. Several months ago, I happened to find some water markers on the ceiling when I laid down on the first floor for a break. These water markers are...

View more questions Search