Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saffron Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 04:19 AM
    How do I get my puppy to poop and pee when I walk him?
    My cocker spaniel puppy, Phoenix, is about 5 months old and is housebroken in the sense that he uses the yard but he just does not seem to understand that he should eliminate when he is walked. He'll hold on and on and go as soon as he gets back from walking like any human might! He seems to be very modest and just refuses to poop or pee if people are around and he likes to poop under bushes preferably. I feed him three times a day(8 AM, 12 noon and 5 PM) but there is absolutely no saying when he'll poop. It varies from day to day. It could be 6 AM, 7.30 AM and 12 noon one day and 7.30 AM, 6 PM and 10 PM another day. In many respects he is a doll. He'll always tell us when he wants to go out and we've not had any accidents in the house for several months. The other thing is he likes to go for walks but gets veryscared if he encounters another dog even if it ignores him. Perhaps this is one reason why he does not eliminate when we walk him? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 09:59 AM
    You have several issues here. Start by reading the sticky on housebreaking at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 Much of it you no longer need, but look at the parts about using a command and praise. Usually at 5 months they have trouble walking and holding it. I have had many lessons on not taking a puppy inside a public place until I walk it around outside until it has a bowel movement. Start in your own back yard, perhaps after a walk with the command and praise while he is still on lead. Once he catches on to it in the back yard, try stopping where he has a bush and giving the command. With some work, you should be able to have him have his bowel movements on the walk.

You can cut him back to 2 meals a day now, and in another month one if you want to. Regular meal times and regular amounts of exercise should give regular times for bowel movements. It can be hard to regulate the amount of exercise.

His fear of other dogs may be from poor early socialization. A puppy should never be removed from its mother and litter before 6 weeks. Even the ones that aren't, still need continuing contact with other dogs. It is part of the reason why I always say yes when asked to sit somebody else's puppy. They always have a great time together.

Don't force other dogs on him, and don't reinforce his fear with any ''Oh, poor little doggie.'' stuff. Do your best to relax. If you tense up, he will sense it, and that will confirm that other dogs are a problem to be feared.

He is old enough to go to an obedience class. I strongly believe in obedience training. Many classes aren't that good, but even the worst allows your dog to learn to stay on task around other dogs. You might try dog parks too, but it may be difficult to keep the other dogs from being too much for him. Friends and family with dogs might be better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy vaccinated, when to walk her? [ 3 Answers ]

My Jack Russell cross Chihuaha puppy, had her final vaccination yesterday. The vet told me to wait another 2 weeks before taking her for walks. But I'm dying to walk her today, I've waited 5 weeks, she is 15 weeks old today, so almost 4 months and most puppies here in the uk have had all their...

How can I get my puppy to walk outside [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is almost 8 weeks old. I am getting really frustrated because every time I walk him (which is very often) he just wants to lay in the grass! I repeatedly lift him back to his feet and he will go a few steps and lay back down. Then he comes in the house and goes to the bathroom! He is very...

My puppy can't walk probably [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... My small Rottweller can't walk probably, especially after meals totally can't moved, take more rest then walk few steps then take a rest again. Don't know why it is happen?:( :confused:

Puppy won't walk [ 2 Answers ]

We recently found a 5 month old pomeranian on our doorstep, after taking it to the vet to see if it was microchipped we found she had not been. At first she was scared of everyone, shaking and shivering when we got too close but now she is much better and is not afraid of us anymore. But I do have...

Dog will not pee or poop outside [ 1 Answers ]

I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block...

View more questions Search