Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluebkracer15 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jun 6, 2005, 04:31 PM
    Problem with Toyota Tundra K&N Intake Kit!
    Hello, I just installed a K&N intake kit on my 2000 Toyota Tundra V8. After installing it I drove my truck it sounded great and then after 5-10min driving I started to hear rattling noise when accelerating around 45mph. I took it off put my stock intake and there was no rattling noise . Yet again I installed the K&N and followed the directions carefully and made sure that nothing was lose and still it made that noise. I know that it makes a wooshing sound with K&N but it makes rattling noise when ever in higher RPMS around 45mph. I have called K&N and they said its normal, but how can it be normal when there something rattling loudly only when the engine warms up it does not do it when its cold. I also reved it too see if it would make the noise and no only when I am driving. Can someone help me I am very frustrated. Thanks :confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2005, 08:22 PM
    Well when its hot, make sure the bolts are all tight. Is this a metal to metal sound, because while your just driving along, doesn't do it while your sitting there reving it. It doesn't sound like its causing any problem. Because they've tested stuff like this, and it is most likely normal.

Jun 7, 2005, 07:45 AM
    The Tube is plastic but it makes an sound like there is metal ratteling on plastic, I have double checked everything and still only when I am driving and the engine is at the normal temperature but if I rev it it does not make any noise.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Sounds like when your going down the road, its just getting more direct air and its shaking around a bit.

Jun 8, 2005, 07:02 AM
    How do I stop it from shaking and why does it only do it when its warmed up??
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2005, 08:34 PM
    Well for when it gets warm, may be because metal expands under heat. Don't know for you because I have never experienced this... as for it shaking, if its all tight and sealed, and if the noise isn't much to take... it should be all right. Like I said, if k&n said it was normal, then it should be... since they test these things.

Jun 11, 2005, 02:14 PM
    Well I found out from K&N they told me that when you are installing the kit that you need to unplug the negative battery cable and keep it unpluged for an hour so the computer can anjust and it would take about 100 milles for it to adjust its self. The problem is that I did not unplug it so I am going to do that and see if it works, any one know if this could be an issue? :confused:
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 12, 2005, 12:01 AM
    It is highly unlikely that resetting your ECU will stop your car from producing rubber/plastic-rubbing-on-metal noise.

You are supposed to reset your ECU because your ECU (kind of) "learned" how much air to expect on the intake, and since you'll provide more air now, you reset it and let it "learn" again how much air to expect. That is very untechnical description of what's going on, but it gives you an idea why you would reset it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh Air Intake [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a wall mounted exhaust fan (about 260 cfm) in a 2 car garage in Arizona (20x20x10high). I run this fan periodically to remove exhaust fumes and to suck out hot air. My garage is fairly tight as far as the seals are concerned and I've determined that I need a fresh air vent in...

Airlock problem on water Intake valve into House [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 4 1/2 years old. I am on city water and all of a sudden about just over 1 month ago I started having a banging problem on the major water intake Valve into the house when I flush the toilets, washer starts filling up with water, turning on the Taps in the basement. This...

A/C air intake blocked [ 1 Answers ]

My A/C wasn't putting out cold air. I checked the outside unit and discovered that a plastic drycleaning bag had been sucked onto the air intake side of the "box" and was totally covering the air intake. I removed the plastic bag and the unit has been working, but I don't think that it is...

Need help with 396 intake casting number [ 1 Answers ]

I have acquired a 396 intake manifold. It's casting number is puzzling me. It is 3883948 X. I know that the numbers mean it was used on 67 and 68 396's. Does anyone know what the X is for? Thanks for any help or direction. :confused:

View more questions Search