Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    totoro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Refreshing old wiring and outlets
    A lot of the outlets in my house are non-polarized two-prong types. I'd like to replace them with polarized grounded outlets. I'd rather not just install a GFI outlet, as that kind of limits me.

I can easily get at the cabling, and the outlets in question are run with two-conductor armored BX cable. My question is, can I just run sheathed 14/2 cable from a new outlet to the downstream junction box?

From what I understand, the armored sheathing provides a ground, but it's not supplied to the outlets. Will be above satisfy ground requirements? Or should I just run the entire circuit with new 14/2 cable back to the service (which will be a little harder).

(it's an old house, there's also a lot of knot-and-tube wiring still in place)
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
    I would run a new circuit from the panel!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Wiring outlets, and grounding [ 4 Answers ]

I just read where one of you told someone, the black wire goes on the screw with the longer opening and white opposite, Ie, Then I saw this following statement from an electrician All white wires are connected to the side with a silvery color and the black wires to the brassy terminals. ...

Refreshing permanent hair color... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! New to this site. I found it by trying to Google my dilemma. I am 40 and have re-touched my permanent color/ brunette, every two weeks for years (my hair grows incredibly fast so I have to color that frequently). My problem is that I just noticed that I have long gray hair (my hair is long)...

Wiring basement - outlets/lights per circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I'm getting ready to do the wiring plan. I plan to have both outlets and lights on each circuit and I'm planning on 3 circuits (1 for a workshop (20Amp?), 2 (15 Amp?)for the rest of the basement including a rec room, craft room, bathroom, closets). Are there code...

Page keeps refreshing over and over... [ 2 Answers ]

This isn't my problem just one that I've come across a few times and not exactly sure what the solution for it is and I don't expect most people to be familiar with what I'm talking about. Whenever you try to access any internet page Internet Explorer flashes (like its refreshing) and keeps...

View more questions Search