Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diamondlil54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Cat in my Garden
    I live in a condo development, my neighbor and I both have indoor cats, but we let our cats out by the pool area, her cat then proceeds to make his litter box near my enclosed patio. I am dealing with the odor of his urine.

I have asked the neihbor to keep the cat out of my immediate area or find a solution to deal with the odor. I get nothing and the cat continues to do his business.

I know they have minds of their own, please don't answer along those lines. I have trained my cat to stay in certain areas and out of others and she does.

What natural repellent can I use to deter this offending cat?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Just recently a garden plant has been developed called Coleus Canina that cats, dogs and even foxes will avoid.

Coleus Canina - an effective cat deterrent
    Coleus Canina is also known as the "Pee-off plant" or the "Scaredy Cat" coleus

This attractive Coleus has excellent foliage and small, attractive spikes of blue flowers in the summer. It releases a stench that cats just can't stand. Thankfully it only smells to the human nose when touched! Could this be the solution to your feline intruder problems you've been longing for? The plant is an annual, but can easily be propagated and cuttings kept in a frost-free place over winter. Plants need to be established before the smell is released. They need to be in drier rather than wet soil and planted every 1-2 yards.

You could also try using the herb rue. The blue leaves are a lovely garden accent, but cats seem to hate the odor.

Cats are not keen on the smell of citrus either. So you could try using orange or lemon peel in your yard as a deterrent. Similarly some folks advocate coffee grounds, blood meal, cayenne pepper, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil.

Maybe you don't mind cats in your garden, but you need to protect certain spots such as bird feeders. One thing you can do is place clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and that will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds. Another idea is to fix a downward opening cone or a biscuit tin to the pole below the bird table to prevent a cat from climbing up it. Vaseline or other similar grease applied pole of the bird table will also help (assuming the pole is smooth).
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Moth balls for a quick solution... they hate the smell... sprinkle a pretty good handful depending on the size of your garden. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Just recently a garden plant has been developed called Coleus Canina that cats, dogs and even foxes will avoid.

Coleus Canina - an effective cat deterrent
    Coleus Canina is also known as the "Pee-off plant" or the "Scaredy Cat" coleus

This attractive Coleus has excellent foliage and small, attractive spikes of blue flowers in the summer. It releases a stench that cats just can’t stand. Thankfully it only smells to the human nose when touched! Could this be the solution to your feline intruder problems you’ve been longing for? The plant is an annual, but can easily be propagated and cuttings kept in a frost-free place over winter. Plants need to be established before the smell is released. They need to be in drier rather than wet soil and planted every 1-2 yards.

You could also try using the herb rue. The blue leaves are a lovely garden accent, but cats seem to hate the odor.

Cats are not keen on the smell of citrus either. So you could try using orange or lemon peel in your yard as a deterrent. Similarly some folks advocate coffee grounds, blood meal, cayenne pepper, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil.

Maybe you don't mind cats in your garden, but you need to protect certain spots such as bird feeders. One thing you can do is place clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and that will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds. Another idea is to fix a downward opening cone or a biscuit tin to the pole below the bird table to prevent a cat from climbing up it. Vaseline or other similar grease applied pole of the bird table will also help (assuming the pole is smooth).
    tickle that is great info... I have a humming bird feeder and bird bath that I am afraid to fill, because of my cats... thanks for this info and the great ideas :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Put a litter box outside where her cat does his business. (Your cat may want to use it too.)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I don't know where you came up with the idea that cats who don't know each other won't share a box. I've dealt with cats all my life. When they got to go and a fairly clean litter box is nearby, they will use it. Of course, if the litter box is full and messy, few cats will use it. That's where the fastidiousness comes in.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Yes, years of experience has taught me that two cats, unless they grow up in the same household from puberty, will definitely not use the same litter box. If I have two cats at one time, which has occurred over the years, they get two litter boxes because, as I said, they don't want to scratch up eacher others sh***t before I get to it.

I don't deal with that anymore though, my one cat now is an outdoor/indoor cat who asks to go out and goes out with the dog in the morning, if she happens to be in at night. However, she has a litter box in the basement if she gets caught short.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Wow! I must have really unusual cats. As soon as I brought each rescued cat home from the vet, I showed it where the two community litter boxes were and bingo bango. I've never had a cat who didn't use either of them faithfully.
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 11, 2007, 04:13 AM
    The litter box is a great idea and I've had rescue cats all my life, they all use the same box even the ones that don't get along. Mothballs is a fair idea but remember they are a toxin. My suggestion would be to install a sprinkler for a few weeks, they will get the idea that's not a great place to go since they get wet when they are there. Harmless and non-toxic.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Yes, years of experience has taught me that two cats, unless they grow up in the same household from puberty, will definitely not use the same litter box. If I have two cats at one time, which has ocurred over the years, they get two litter boxes because, as I said, they dont want to scratch up eacher others sh***t before I get to it.

I dont deal with that anymore though, my one cat now is an outdoor/indoor cat who asks to go out and goes out with the dog in the morning, if she happens to be in at night. However, she has a litter box in the basement if she gets caught short.
    Tickle my old cat 11 yrs sits at the door facing it with his back to us waiting for it to open up, never lets out a meow. Lol he is so cute. And my other one 3 yrs she gets up on a chair slaps the door knob makes it jiggle and the dogs go insane, maybe part revenge or wanting to use the potty I'm not sure :) But they do use the same box when they are inside , it could have been because I brought her in as a kitten, I'm not sure as I haven't tried that with 2 adult cats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Cat dirt in my garden [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.

View more questions Search