Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xx-man Posts: 37, Reputation: -1

Jun 13, 2013, 08:51 AM
    I am trying to install a 3 wire welder to a drye outlet. Does the ground wire go toL
    I am trying to install a 3 wire welder to a drye outlet. Does the ground wire go to The "L" shaped prong and the ehite and black wire to the angles flat prongs ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
    This may be of help How to wire 240 volt outlets That L shaped receptacle is a neutral
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
    The welder is 240VAC? Straight 240 VAC, 3 wire doesn't have a neutral; 2 hots and a ground. 240VAC 4 wire has 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. Is the dryer outlet 3 or 4 wire? If the outlet is 4 wire then the L is neutral but if you are using only a 3 wire supply to the welder, you will still need a 4 connector plug and use the hot white, hot black and a ground. The L connector is left open.
    xx-man Posts: 37, Reputation: -1

Jun 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Hello there!
    I thank you very much and that information has confirmed what I need to do. My problem stems from the fact that the welder I am trying to wire has a white, black and green wire... the outlet diagrams have a white, black and red wire. I purchased a 3 prong dual voltage (250v 30a / 250v 50a ) plug.. SO... I have wired the green wire to the "L" shaped prong... the neutral on the outlet... I tested the outlet and have 120v on each flat prong inlet ( 240 altogether)...
    Nothing is ever easy. The setup for the outlet is in an poorly accessible area of my basement (very old house)some day I will make an extension cord but for now I will remove the dryer vent and run the cord through the wall to plug it in to the receptacle in the basement and weld in the backyard... not perfect but we do what we must... again.. thank you for the info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Outlet No Ground Wire [ 6 Answers ]

On the outlet it has a green ground screw. But there is no ground wire coming out of the wall. Should you pigtail a wire around the green screw and wrap it around the screw that secures the outlet to the junction box?

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Diy install ground wire for 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved to the dominican republic... my 2nd floor apartment has your typical 3 prong outlets... but no ground!(?). I hear this is normal down here. The apartment is make of cement blocks. Usually they build the walls then break them to install the wiring before cementing it flat. ...

250v outlet ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. A helpful post said that I could convert this outlet to 3 prong 240v. I have looked a little closer in the outlet and noticed there are two hots (red and black...

View more questions Search