Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karrot3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Wishing I were blonde again
    My natural hair color is light brown and for many years I have been highlighting my hair. It had gotten pretty long and as you can probably guess kept getting lighter and lighter until I started to look like a bleach blonde with bad roots. My husband suggested I try for a strawberry blonde. Coincidentally, the new hairdresser I went to consult with suggested the same thing. Well, the result was a much shorter layered do which looks more like a reddish brown or auburn. The hair color might be pretty on someone else but looks crappy on me. I am fair skinned with very blue eyes and the hairdresser said it would bring out these attributes. Instead, it just looks wrong. I have had this color for two weeks and have started to shampoo with Prell and deep condition with Redken Extreme. It has faded a little bit to a lighter reddish brown with some gold. In the meantime, I went to another hairdresser who said she could put some toner on it to counteract the red but is hesitant to apply bleach. When it was colored, I had at least an inch of roots to which the hairdresser applied a stain to "warm them up". My appointment with the other hairdresser is in three weeks. She suggested that I do a lot of deep conditioning in the meantime. My question is, is it possible to return to a natural looking blonde (not a white blonde) without major damage to my hair. Also would going golden blonde be easier on my hair than an ashy blonde. Please help me! I hate my hair. The cut is bad too but at least I know it will grow. My main desire is to just be blonde again--even if it's a much darker blonde!!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 08:33 PM

If it were my hair, I would have the hairdresser use a reducing-type color remover, like ColorFix on my hair. That would remove the red. It would also be much more gentle on the hair than Effasol or bleach. You should be able to recolor immediately after.

It is definitely possible to do what you want to do, and it's not all that hard.

Most people find golden blonde to be less desirable than ash blonde. It's easier to achieve golden blonde (aka brassy blonde), but usually that will occur when the hair color fades anyway. Try for an ash color.

By the way, since hair has no blood supply (except in the root), it can't "get better". Hair's "health" is more of a static problem, not a dynamic one. You can condition all you want, but it will not change the long-term strength of the hair. This seems to be something that 90% of stylists have no clue about. I definitely recommend using conditioners after every shampoo if you color your hair, but expecting to improve the inherent condition of your hair before coloring is not going to happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartoon: fairy's and wishing on stars? [ 1 Answers ]

Now this movie I remember even less and what I do remember might not be correct. I think it's about little girls who when they sing this certain song and wish on a star they get a fairy who comes down and answers their wish. Anyone have a clue? I remember the friend that I watched this movie with...

Wishing I could have my boys [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out if I have a chance to get my boy's back?I was talked into letting someone adopt my children when I was not stable.

Was I Wishing For Lucas or Luke? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm one of those people who thinks something is a sign, like for instance, I just met this guy at the café I go to every night with my best friend to just hang out and relax. I thought he looked familiar and I thought he was cute. We didn't really talk while I was there until I met this girl and we...

Father of son wishing to relinqhish [ 3 Answers ]

The father of my son has approached a lawyer about terminating his rights to our son. I am not apposed to this, and the lawyer says that the father is willing to pay for the process. I'm just curious to if I need to obtain a lawyer of my own and if there is any court costs that I may be required to...

View more questions Search