Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stephanie B Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 01:56 AM
    Ex husband wants to see kids with his other woman
    Hi, I live in England. I have separated from my husband of 20 years and am divorcing him for adultery. He has visited our two daughters for half an hour each week (he works in the town we live, but lives with his new woman 70 miles away).

He now states he wants to have our daughters staying over at his house (which is his new woman's home). I don't deny him access whatsoever, he could take them out alone, but I don't like the thought of our daughters with the woman who split the family up. Our youngest daughter is 7 and she doesn't know that her dad has left for another woman as I've tried to shield her from the nasty bits. Our 14 year old does know and doesn't agree with what her dad has done.

Has anyone been through this (not sure if the laws are different between USA and Britain?) I haven't denied HIM access, but can I deny HER access?

Our daughters don't want to stay over, but would if their dad lived alone - or saw them on his own. They have not expressed this to their dad yet, as it's the early stages, he is now seeking solicitors/courts as he states that he wants his new woman to see the girls too... I am also seeing my solicitor this week, but in the meantime wondered if anyone else had been through this and how it all worked out?

Thanks for any advice.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. Your grounds for divorce are adultery? Have you proved this, yet? The details of your separation and his conduct may influence the judge. It really will come down to the judge's view of your case; there was a time when noncustodial parents could not have overnight visitation while 'shacking up' with a lover. Just remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 06:09 AM
    In the US, you can deny her to come into your home, but if he is going to have the kids with him over night of course he can have his girlfriend there. In fact if the visitation was court ordered, you would be in trouble for not allowing it. So you may not like it, it may not be moral, but yes, he will get the kids to be with him and she can be there if he wants her. **** as long as she is not a danger to the kids, *criminal record, drug user and so on.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
    And be prepared for what's going to happen after the divorce, when he may very well wind up marrying her. In which case there is no legal reason for you to demand that she not be there when the kids are. And, if they stay married, she will be helping to parent your 7-year-old for a long time. So think of how you want this to play out for the next 11 years.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    In the US, you can deny her to come into your home, but if he is going to have the kids with him over night of course he can have his girlfriend there. In fact if the visitation was court ordered, you would be in trouble for not allowing it. So you may not like it, it may not be moral, but yes, he will get the kids to be with him and she can be there if he wants her. **** as long as she is not a danger to the kids, *criminal record, drug user and so on.
    Actually you can lay out codes of conduct in a decree when you go through custody. I know because I had them put into mine to protect my children and the courts never blinked at issuing them. Orders of conduct aren't uncommon but you also have to allow the other person to have a life and also not put new things in that weren't there before the relationship.

Example: If you were both christians and trying to raise your children that way then you could put no overnights with the GF / BF when the kids are in your care. That way you continue to keep a standard and if you choose to marry again then overnights are allowed.
    That in no way doesn't allow for the children to meet the respective partners but it holds a line on the conduct.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Welcome to AMHD. Your grounds for divorce are adultery? Have you proved this, yet? The details of your separation and his conduct may influence the judge. It really will come down to the judge's view of your case; there was a time when noncustodial parents could not have overnight visitation while 'shacking up' with a lover. Just remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Thanks George, yes he has admitted adultery and is living with her too.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    And be prepared for what's going to happen after the divorce, when he may very well wind up marrying her. In which case there is no legal reason for you to demand that she not be there when the kids are. And, if they stay married, she will be helping to parent your 7-year-old for a long time. So think of how you want this to play out for the next 11 years.
    I agree, if they were married I wouldn't have any choice, things would be different. Good points about the future. I have suggested that I meet with this other woman, as we have never met, so to me and the children she is a stranger, but my husband refuses to allow us to meet (probably because he's told her a lot of lies).

Jun 2, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Thanks for that, I know that I don't want it to happen as she is the reason our marriage split up, hence my negative feelings about involving this woman with my daughters. I can't stop them for any reason as she has no criminal record etc etc, in fact she's a teacher!

I just feel aggrieved that their dad hasn't bothered to take them out or see them for longer than half an hour each WEEK alone, but now he wants to have them staying over with HER. Maybe he should start taking them out alone (without his girlfriend) and then meeting her for a while BEFORE demanding they stay over night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband just found out he will be having a child with another woman [ 59 Answers ]

God I need some help here please. Here is my story... I have been with my husband for 16 years and married for 12. The last two years have been really tough on us, he left for 3 months and we went to counsling, he then came back and after 6 months he left again. This time he has been gone a...

My husband has a baby by another woman [ 44 Answers ]

Help! After my husband confessed to an affair when he found out she was pregnant and was keeping the baby, I still decided to TRY to work things out. How should his communication with her be handled. Normally, after an affair the obvious is to cut all ties with the mistress, but in this case...

How do I stop this woman chasing my husband [ 4 Answers ]

After weeks of confussion and hurt thinking that my husband was having an affair I find out that it's a woman at work chasing him. She tries to talk to him all the time, changed her shift to see him at work and constantly tries to get his #. She even asks other emlpoyees about him. He tells her...

How do I deal with my husband having a child with another woman [ 3 Answers ]

How do I deal with my husband having a child with another woman?

Husband Going To Another Woman [ 5 Answers ]

I did not realize that me and my husband were having problems... Everything seemed okay until he just hit me with it out of the blue last Tuesday... We had a long talk and got a lot of things out in the open and the past week has been absolutely wonderful... My problem and question is......

View more questions Search