Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hurtstobreath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Black dust after taking down a 180 year old ceiling,is the dust harmfull
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 03:59 PM

Are you asking if it is mold dust or if breathing it in general is a good idea?

Either way you should protect yourself with a dust mask at minimum. The dust can have a wide range of things in it from harmles ash to mold or spores from rat feces.

Its always best to protect yourself and your lungs. A house that old would have been heated with firewood and the soot from that gets everywhere. If in doubt have an inspection done.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 12:08 AM
    Certainly a concern!

Imagine what has occurred in the last 180 years!The dust should be contained,the ceiling could have (like califdadof3 said) anything on top of it from feces to dust from fireplaces,oil furnaces,bird droppings,raccoon,anything that might have nested in there including bats.

The removal and exposure should be kept to a minimum,wet it down with a garden sprayer to keep it limited,wear masks and gloves,clean any cuts as soon as you can,etc.

This can be bad,or it can be nothing... it's up to you the risks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring black dust from aluminum oxide coating [ 6 Answers ]

I have a laminate floor with the aluminum oxide coating. The aluminum is coming out of the floor surface and creates a blackish grey dust. If you walk with white socks, they turn black. The carpet adjacent to the laminate has a black dirt trail from the laminate. Cleaning the floor with a damp...

My Maytag Dryer is making this black dust [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my dryer , started making like something black dust that is ruinining my clothes , what can it be

Squeling noise and black dust from back of frigidaire dryer [ 1 Answers ]

How do replace the bearing at the rear of dryer step by step

Dust falling from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with what appears to be Sheetrock dust covering everything in my condo. I clean everything up but after a day the dust is back. It is difficult to breathe and I am trying to figure out a way to determine what this dust is or to get stop it from falling from the ceiling. I...

View more questions Search