Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Me_ Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Sleep Deprivation
    How long can the average human body survive without sleep?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
    About 10-ish days, maybe 11 or 12, then you die. You'd pass out after like 4 or 5 days though, I'm sure.
    thereisno4evr Posts: 63, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
    11 days is supposedly how long it takes. However no one could physically stay awake for that long.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Manic people(like myself) have been fully awake for up to 10 days,starting to get delusional after ?4-5 days, and not capable of cognitive thought after 6-7 days.

The 11 days till death? I have no idea, being as I am still alive.:p

Of course this isn't the average person talking, but it does give the idea of a HUMAN persons abilities.

Ken

Nov 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Wow, the longest I have stayed awake was only a pathetic 2 days!
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Count your blessings,2 days is enough for anyone.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Haven't there been stories about people staying awake for 29 days or so?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by _Me_
    How long can the average human body survive without sleep?
    wow, the longest I have stayed awake was only a pathetic 2 days!
    I am curious as to why you are asking the question. Please let us know? Thank you!

Dec 1, 2007, 04:42 AM
    What's it matter? It's a perfectly fine question.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
    What's it matter? It's a perfectly fine question.
    True, it is a perfectly fine question. It matters to me because I am curious and interested as to why you are asking. If you don't choose to answer, then that is your choice and okay with me.
    As far as me and being without sleep, the longest I have ever gone without sleep is about 30 hours.

I would imagine that the amount of time that it would take for the average human body to survive without sleep would depend on many factors such as the activities, nourishment and stimuli that one might receive while being in the state of wakefulness.

I did find something on the following site which might be of interest to you concerning the answering of your question.

http://www.deeperwants.com/cul1/homeworlds/journal/archives/001284.html

Death by Sleep Deprivation

Nazi experimenters discovered during rather inhumane experiments during WWII that test subjects will die after an extended period of total sleep deprivation (TSD). They also found that the vast majority of subjects followed a specific pattern of behaviour by day. [By Craig Doran, Ph.D.]

Human 264 hours

So, it might seem that 11 days may be correct as being about the max for a human to go without sleep, if that information is verifiably correct.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Haven't there been stories about people staying awake for 29 days or so?
    29 days,Maybe in Hollywood,(not a smart a!s answer)

If one rests during the 11 day period(rest and sleep not being the same)they might be able to extend their time, manic depressives often lose cognitive thoughts and don't exactly have others around them to monitor their actions while going through a manic phase.So when I state being awake for so many days in a row, it is my perception of missed sleep after so many days, not solid fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't sleep AGAIN [ 2 Answers ]

I always wake up around 3:00 in the morning and can't get back to sleep.. then I'm exhausted every night by 9. It works well most days because I get a ton of work completed many mornings- but then on days when I don't have much to complete, it's brutal. My mind races in the mornings with all the...

Sleep [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that you can die faster by not getting any sleep, then by not getting any food? I know this probably has been touched on before. Does anybody have any sleeping issues? Problems? Have you dealt with them or is it still haunting you. For me, sitting here on my computer, feeling...

Now she won't sleep at all [ 5 Answers ]

It has been a week of crate training so far for our 10 week old beagle. We had some problems with her pooping in her crate, found out she had worms and diharia, stool is now firm sometimes and super loose others. She is on a pill for her diharia and we gave her her worm pill last night. She is...

Sleep [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question that is for anyone who knows anything about sleep disorders or dream interpretations. Anyone think they can help?

View more questions Search