Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Benedryl for dogs
    Hi all,

This weekend my 10lb mini doxie was stung by a bee. He was fine and had no reaction
    Other than pain and a small lump where he was stung. We were able to get the stinger out even. My friend told me that now that he has been stung once we need to be more careful because he has a better chance of having a reaction the next time. She says that I should carry benedryl so that I can give him it if he is stung. Is this true? Can you really give human medications to a dog like that?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Yes honey, vets will tell you to give your dog benadryl for allergic reactions. The problem comes into play with the weight of the dog and how much of a dosage. The best thing you can do is give your vet a call and talk to him about it. Ask him what exactly he would recommend for the real Tuscany.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:30 PM
    I strongly agree with RubyPitbull about talking to the vet if possible. They aren't 24/7. Benadryl is one of the few things I would give a dog on my own. If you have to, its up to 2 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. This is from my Dog & Pet Supplies - Vet Vax, Inc Pet Supply Store for dogs, cats, horses. catalog. I find them a good source for Nylabones. I do not get a commission.

You do need to be very careful with human OTC medications. The modern, safer pain pills kill dogs.
    daisymactx Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Jul 24, 2007, 08:55 AM
    When our chihuahua puppy had a bad reaction to her vaccinations, our vet told us to give her the infant/childrens Benadryl. It break it down in weight more so than the adult type.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
    That is a good point. Many dogs are not big enough to take a whole 25 mg capsule.
    daisymactx Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Jul 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    That is a good point. Many dogs are not big enough to take a whole 25 mg capsule.

Not only that, but the liquid, which is what you get with the children's formula, gets into their system faster than a pill would.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:30 PM
    I talked to my vet today. He said a half of a child's benedryl would work for Tuscany. He said it would make him sleepy, but stop the reaction. Thanks so much everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Dogs health [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a 10 year old Female Beagle who stopped eating about five days ago. She drinks a lot and is in good sprits.

View more questions Search