Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigerboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Paternal rights
    If both parents agree that one parent can give up their rights what is the procedure? We were never married,I have not seen the child but am paying child support. I had a paternity test to establish paternity. Can I give up my rights and not have to pay child support?
    meion Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerboy
    if both parents agree that one parent can give up their rights what is the procedure? we were never married,i have not seen the child but am paying child support. I had a paternity test to establish paternity. can i give up my rights and not have to pay child support?
    I just wanted to let you know that I feel like that is so sad that you would rather give up your rights to something that you created rather than man up to your responsibilities
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
    If you look through the family law threads, you will soon see that you can easily give up your parental rights. But you'll still have to pay child support. You just won't have any say in where your child lives, goes to school, have any right to see them, etc.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 7, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Yes, instead try to form some kind of relationship with your child.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2007, 07:30 PM
    It bothers me that there are people trying to give up their children when I am trying to FIND mine. Step up and do the right thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Hello, well if you wish to give up your rights, yes you can do that, all your rights ( visits and custody) for that you would file a motion in the court. You can not give up in court your obligation for child support, unless the ex has a new partner to adopt. You can have a written agreement with the ex not to collect child support, but if your ex ever has to collect any government assistance or if they child ever gets assistance, the state has the right to come after you for child support to pay them back, so the state is not going to let you sign away the obligation on the child, informally you and the other partner can agree to cheat the child out of the child's money, but the state will not inforce this, and the other partner can change their mind and come back after you anyway.
    Jacipix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
    You want to give up your rights to YOUR CHILD so that you don't have to pay child support? Wow, your son or daughter is really lucky to have you...
    ZigZag07 Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I agree...
    Man up and take responibilties
    I'm someone whose dad didn't want to be in my life... and I wonder about him everyday of my life. I wood do ANYTHING to get him back... I never even met him.
    Don't do that to your kid... please
    It hurts... I suffer a lot... and I don't want ANYONE to go through that...
    singlemom13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 10:03 AM
    I am in the same situation. I am 9 weeks pregnant and my ex-boyfriend wants nothing to do with me or the child he helped to make. Can I get child support from him and still get him to sign off on his parental rights (which he wants to do)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternal Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I fathered a child with someone. (Yes, I know it was foolish.) My problem is that the mother has turned this in to a power struggle. We have agreed that in this situation an adoption is the best thing for the child. The mother does not want me involved in any way. She wants me to sign over my...

Terminate paternal rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father was in and out of her life and child support was never paid. When she was 14 years old (she is almost 16 now) her father called and asked if she could come to his and his parents home in the next state over for thanksgiving. There was to be a special trip to...

Paternal Rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband got a girl pregnant 8 years ago and has never been allowed to spend time with her. The mother of this child is hateful and frankly evil. She will quit her job right before we go to court so that our support gets raised. We cannot afford this anymore. My husband is willing to relinquish...

Waiving paternal rights [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex girlfriend from 5 years ago who has been married and has 2 kids is fighting with her husband because he believes the oldest son (5 years old) is not his. There is talk around town that she thinks the oldest is mine. Doing the calculations of our relationship I do not believe he could be mine...

Advice on paternal rights... [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. Marine stationed in N.C. My wife and I have been separated and my lawyer has now filed the divorce paperwork with the courts. I recently found out that our 14 month old is not mine. No question about it, he is not mine. Our divorce was uncontested until now (I think). She wants me...

View more questions Search