Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nakia674 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Is the present value always smaller than the future value?
    When dealing with interest, is the present value always smaller than the future value?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 31, 2012, 02:22 PM
    Consider the fundamental relationship between the future value FV and the present value PV of some amount, where there are n periods between the two:

for some interest rate r.

Now starting with the premise that present value is no less than future value...

PV ≥ FV

get that inequality boiled down to a statement involving r only, to see what must be true of the interest rate r in order to have present value greater than or equal to future value. Then ask yourself when, if ever, do interest rates satisfy that condition?

Hint to get you started: First substitute for FV in the inequality, its equivalent expression in terms of PV, which is the RHS of the previous equality. Then divide both sides of the inequality by PV, assuming that present value is some positive quantity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Present value and Future value [ 2 Answers ]

Please I need help to resolve this. I want to know if I am doing the correct calculations. They gave this information: Kiddy Toy Corporation needs to acquire the use of a machine to be used in its manufacturing process. The machine needed is manufactured by Lollie Corp. The machine can be...

Present and Future Value [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculate the future value of the following: $5,000 compounded annually at 6% for 5 years $5,000 compounded semiannually at 6% for 5 years $5,000 compounded quarterly at 6% for 5 years $5,000 compounded annually at 6% for 6 years Pease help me, I want to know the process of...

Present and future value [ 1 Answers ]

the present value of $1,552.90 due in 10 years at 12% (occurs annually)

Present and future value [ 1 Answers ]

I am pretty sure I did this right but I want to make sure... am I correct in solving for the present value? It says the present value of $1,552.90 due in 10 years at 12%?

Present Value and Future Value [ 2 Answers ]

A rich godfather has offered you a choice of one of the three following alternatives: $10,000 now; $2,000 a year for eight years; or $24,000 at the end of eight years. Assuming you could earn 11 percent annually, which alternative should you choose? If you could earn 12 percent annually, would you...

View more questions Search