Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bry85 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Father waived right but gets visitation
    The father of my girlfriends 8 month old child waived his rights to decide her school, doctor and all of that also declining another set of rights while they were in court for child support. My girlfriend says the judge explained what rights he is giving up and that they included every paternal right period. This is all I know as far the rift he waived. So my question is, does anyone know exactly what rights she is referring to and if he did waive all parental right then why is he getting visitation and paying support? I know in some states even with a father waiving parental right he must still pay support until said child is adopted by another, but why is he getting support if he waived right? Or does anyone know what rights the court would have offered that he declined?
    Bry85 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Should also add that we live in Indiana,. I know a lot of parental laws can differ from state to state, and sometimes county to county
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
    He has waived parental rights; it means that at this time he has chosen not to exercise any of them except for visitation. But, he hasn't terminated his rights. He would have to terminate in order for the child to be placed for adoption or to not pay child support.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry85 View Post
    ... So my question is, does anyone know exactly what rights she is reffering to and if he did waive all parental right then why is he getting visitation and paying support? ...
    First you should look at the court order. If that doesn't say, you could order a tape of the hearing (if court hearings are recorded in your state) to see exactly what the judge told him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prevent father from visitation [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Ohio.What are the laws on abandonment here.Like my ex husband has not had anything to do with my son really since he was born,but got less when I left him.I left my ex because he banged my sons head off a floor saying the voices told him to do it.I moved to Pa,to get away from him.He was...

Visitation rights of a father [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 7month old daughter and her father is a truck driver. He is having issues with me moving on with my life, what are his visitation rights to see her? Is it every other weekend or can he take her every time he is home?

Visitation rights of the father [ 7 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend will not let me see my 2 young sons. I am paying child support and all I want is to be able to see my sons. What can I do in order to get visitation rights? I would like to pick them up every other weekend at least. What are my rights?

Visitation with father [ 2 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

Visitation to father? Should I? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

View more questions Search