Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Biology question...
    I need some help with a take home study quiz. Here is the question:

Which of the following biochemical pathways does NOT require oxygen?

Glycosis
    Matrix Reactions
    Electron Transport system
    Fermintation
    Glycosis and fermintation

At first I thought it was Electron Transport system... But then I second guessed myself only because respiration is where electrons are donated to an exogenous electron acceptor, such as oxygen, via an electron transport chain.

I considered Fermintation as the answer, but Fermentation does not necessarily have to be carried out in an anaerobic environment. For example, even in the presence of abundant oxygen, yeast cells greatly prefer fermentation to oxidative phosphorylation, as long as sugars are readily. And Fermentation products contain chemical energy, but are considered waste products since they cannot be metabolized further without the use of oxygen. But that is only fermintation products.. I know Fermentation occurs in mammalian muscle during periods of intense exercise where oxygen supply becomes limited, resulting in the creation of lactic acid.

Can any tell me if I am on the right path, or if I have over looked something? Thanks!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 11:33 AM

Definitely not Glycosis.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    It occurs, with variations, in nearly all organisms, both aerobic and anaerobic.
    I'm positive for fermentation still. Fermentation can occur in the presence of oxygen, but still, the process does not require/use oxygen

I got something about ET system/chain (weird contraction :p)

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    This is usually done through an electron transport chain in a process called oxidative phosphorylation; however, this mechanism is not available without oxygen.
    Last, I didn't get Matrix Reactions, not clear cut info, that is I didn't get anything that would convince me.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 11:35 AM

Hmm Ok thanks Unky. I keep going back to Fermintation now too. I think you are right!
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 11:37 AM

I am almost 100% certain it is not Matrix Reactions.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2011, 11:37 AM

Well, in any case, keep us informed when you get the answers, I'd like to double check :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 11:54 AM

What does this study relate to ?
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 12:02 PM

It's a biology class I am taking. Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes in living organisms. It's questions that are supposed to be on the exam. Thankfuly this section is only a small section of what we will be studying, and this is actually supposed to be a brush up from what we learned in grade 12 (6 years ago for me), but I do not remember taking this stuff. :s

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Biology question [ 6 Answers ]

•If oxygen is lacking, how might cells meet their energy needs through fermentation? Explain and give some examples of cells that can do this.

Biology [ 2 Answers ]

Some body help me, * Describe the range of sense receptors present on insect antennae * What is the function of the utricles and saccules?

Biology [ 2 Answers ]

?? What are one of the first events of spermatogenesis?

I need help on this question in biology [ 1 Answers ]

The question is How is the genetic code stored in the dna molecule? Please help:confused:

View more questions Search